Advice Needed Please - Reliable Budget Bike For A Returning Wobbler

bothfeetdown

My current bike is a 1972 Montesa Cota 247, it needs at least a top end rebuild and thereafter paint, tidying up and TLC. It's the first bike I brought after a 30 year break from trials my last one was a TL125s. Having ridden it a few times I reckon it's worth a proper rebuild and then kept for high days and fun. I'm therefore thinking of getting a more modern bike, one that's reliable and can be used every week, not need major maintenance and sensible enough for a complete wobbler like me to use. I'm on a budget (£1600). Any advice on what to get?

Fraid I don't have 1st hand experience with a scorpa,but the yam engine is highly regarded as near bullet proof so may well be an option for you.

I guess you're a 315r owner? Must admit I'm tempted. There's a few on eBay, be nice to find one locally with a known history. There's a tasty Beta on eBay at the moment uts £2k for a 2005.

The best way of spending your £1600 is probably best determined by finding the best maintained/least abused example you can of any of the main manufacturers within that price bracket rather than there being one particular make which stands out as being superior. With the possible exception of Betas suffering stator failure, you shouldn't be facing the likelihood of catastrophic reliability issues. What you want to avoid is any bike which needs a lot of work to make good wear and tear, eg chain, sprockets, suspension linkages, tyres, cables, etc as the cost may soon go beyond your budget. There's no such thing as a bad bike among the main manufacturers; if you go as new as you can, any of them will be a revelation after riding your 247.

• Like 2

As reliable as the rest I would say.....all bike makes have their problems,I suggested one because they are more of a stable bike more like your Montesa. and there are quite a few for sale at the moment at around your budget.Beta is a very popular bike with clubmen.

The Montesa 315 as suggested is a reliable bike as its engine has of course Japanese engineering/quality.

Thanks that, makes good sense

Edited by bothfeetdown

The best way of spending your £1600 is probably best determined by finding the best maintained/least abused example you can of any of the main manufacturers within that price bracket rather than there being one particular make which stands out as being superior. With the possible exception of Betas suffering stator failure, you shouldn't be facing the likelihood of catastrophic reliability issues. What you want to avoid is any bike which needs a lot of work to make good wear and tear, eg chain, sprockets, suspension linkages, tyres, cables, etc as the cost may soon go beyond your budget. There's no such thing as a bad bike among the main manufacturers; if you go as new as you can, any of them will be a revelation after riding your 247.

That's a really good point, I've seen a fair few gasgas bikes about as well. I like the 247 but I don't want to be limited by the nostalgia/memories when what I really want is a good laugh and an afternoons trouble free riding!

The bonus with a Beta is that spares, sensibly priced, are readily available from John Lampkin the Beta importer, whereas quite a lot of spares for the Montesa 315 are now difficult to obtain. Of course the bulk of the spares you are likely to need are available by most dealers from after market suppliers.

• Like 1

The bonus with a Beta is that spares, sensibly priced, are readily available from John Lampkin the Beta importer, whereas quite a lot of spares for the Montesa 315 are now difficult to obtain. Of course the bulk of the spares you are likely to need are available by most dealers from after market suppliers.

Thanks Hillary

Well worth knowing

I think it is worth considering putting two or three hundred aside to spend on the bike once you've bought it. You have to be pretty lucky to buy an older bike for that sort of money that turns out to have everything working really well and that is fully reliable.

You can buy a good Beta Rev or 315 for £1300 to £1400. Why not hold back a couple of hundred to treat the old girl to some fresh bearings, seals, oils, filter and the other odds and ends that might be damaged or badly worn. I bought a fairly low hour 2007 Rev 3 a couple of years ago on a tight budget. I love it and it has been very reliable in the long run but took a bit of work initially (wheel bearings, fork seals went early on, water pump seal, brake calliper rebuild and pads, air filter, thermostat went, and a few bodges needed undoing). It has been a lovely bike since - smooth, stable, grippy and turns well.

Best wishes

• Like 1