Clutch

guy53

I've been riding bikes for a loooong time and It was always a crime ( or a call to the hospital )  to use the clutch when going down a steep hill, followed the same rule with the 75 TY that I've been riding the last 10 years. I bought a Beta Rev this summer and use the same technic, but it seems that modern bike riders use the clutch in steep descent, am I right ?

Guy

As far as I'm concerned ..., only if you can't modulate your back brake good enough to keep from stalling or skidding , But I have used it on STEEP down hill turns ! :)

Like all trials it depends on the section ....

Edited by axulsuv

guy35,

This is my 2 cents take it for what its worth. 

Clutch useage down hill... on my wifes 08 Gas Gas 125 I don't often if ever use or pull in the clutch when doing a section going down hill(s), however with the extra engen braking of my 07 Montesa 4RT I have found I do on occasion use the clutch to keep better control by preventing the rear from sliding.  On the larger bore bikes with higher compression heads etc. I could see where this might be the same on a 250 to 300 2T, however I would guess a little less common. 

Something to think about maybe?

Guy, young riders who ride twinshocks set a faster idle than you or I would usually have and they use the clutch almost everywhere so it is not really a "bike" thing, more of a "rider" thing when or if to use the clutch.

I confess to using the clutch sometimes on my old trials bikes

• Like 1

The brake on both end of the Beta ( 250 ) are amazing compared to any TS I ever rode, after an hour or so in the mountain, I had figured out how to think about braking than gently pressured the pedal instead of pushing on the pedal and waiting for the result. So if I understand what you are saying, the best way is the way I am confident with ?

Guy

• Like 1

I went to the riding area alone this weekend with my mind set on that issue. I chose a 100 foot long 45 to 50 degree hill with 1 to 6 inch loose rock and dirt to test. The result is no real winner : I guess I'm more confortable with the clutch out probably because I learned that way, I feel safer knowing I can blip the throttle if needed to get me out off trouble and I notice I have my clutch finger instinctively ready all the time. When I used the clutch, I just needed to be a little more careful not to lock the rear wheel.

Guy

• Like 1