Climber 280 - Reducing Flywheel Mass

ffman

In tandem with my other post on reducing compression, i read that some people also reduce the flywheel weight to make the engine more responsive. as i think i intend to do light enduro on it, this would be better.

i see the flywheel is a multipart item.

any advice on how to set about this ?

So you want to reduce compression which will make the power softer, then reduce flywheel weight to make it quicker again?

I would leave it alone & get a 200 KTM for your enduro, that's what I did. great fun!!

Perhaps retarding the timing slightly might help with kick-back when starting if your worried about the kickstarter.

So you want to reduce compression which will make the power softer, then reduce flywheel weight to make it quicker again?

reducing the flywheel weight won't make it quicker, it will make the engine more responsive, but easier to stall.

I have an XR400 for proper enduro, just i got the climber cheap, they're not worth much to sell, so i may as well make it so i can use it.

Is it the kick back that breaks the starter, i assumed it was the effort required to turn it over.

• 3 weeks later...

not a bad choice as it happens. We used to do the green lanes, find some silly hill climbs etc around Kent. One evening during a very muddy spell one of the guys Pumpkins had blown up or something had broken as usual and he took his Climber....well it turns out he was waiting around most of time for the rest of the guys to catch up. :guinness: