Tiger Cub Trials Advice For Complete Beginner

queenmonkey

Hi guys, i'm completely new to trial riding but thought i'd give it a bit of a try after buying a tiger cub in (many) assorted bits.  I've no trials experience but would like to build an 'all round bike' that i can ride round the garden, green lanes and very occasionally go to the shops on.  My budget is limited.    I'm starting with the engine (currently dismantled and i've got two of most things!) and have got  a couple of questions that i was hoping i might get advice on:

1) I've got two sets of gears one has got what looks like a standard 17 tooth engine sprocket (rear drive) on it with a  very (very) hooked and missing teeth. The other set of gears look much cleaner and have a 13 tooth engine sprocket on.  What i want to do is put a thicker 420 rear drive chain on (ultimately) but judging by the thickness of the present 13 tooth sprocket the 420 chain will probably slop about.  Consequently, i see that i can purchase a 420 sprocket but what of the size?  Should i go for a 13?  If so what size rear sprocket would best suit my needs (see above re garden, green lane and shop)?

2)  I've got two gear quadrants and one has been reversed so it's a 'one up'.  Both look in the same condition but which one would be best in terms of functionality.  I've never had to use a right side change so it'll all be new to me!

Thanks in advance guys.

QM

I think you are going to have to accept compromise when choosing gear ratios as no one set up will be good at everything you want to ride. If geared for the road then trials will be out of the question but if geared for trials roadwork is quite possible, same for green lanes but it depends what type of roadwork you want to do?

Best option is speak to Bob at UPB Cub he can supply all the advise as well as the bits you should need. 420 chain is the usual one for a Cub in trials use but you must fit a gearbox sprocket with a small amount of offset usually 13 or 14t with 60 to 66 on the rear. Trialsbits have a good range of rear sprockets. With regard to the gear/brake position you just get used to it.

Good luck with the build, please tell us here on TC how it goes together.

i d go 13 on the front with the offset sprocket and as above something low 60's on the rear, 420 chain is all yo ll want. shop around the interweb is your friend although as above if you want great value and next day delivery trialsbits are my first choice. keep it simple. keep it so reliability is the aim. yo cant clean sections have a day out laning if the thing wont start/run properly/ breaks down so ask sensible advice from blokes with mucky fingernails lads riding bikes to your riding standard and standard of bike. if you ask an expert with a shiney bike who doesnt know what it is to put his foot down he ll give you an entirely different answer to the fella what builds and fettles his own.. look for the dirty finger nails..enjoy.. oh and its not cheap..

• Like 3

Search for Triumph Tiger Cub in the pre 65 forum here on tc there are posts regarding gearing and engine sprocket sizes on there. Personally I think you need the std 19t on the crank but many do use a 16 or 17t instead for trials with as was said a 13 or 14 on the gearbox then 60 or more on the rear wheel.

Edited by trialsrfun