Classic Experts Trial -Rhayader

rhayaderman

I rode this trial a couple of times in the last few years of it being run, it was fantastic.

I only found out last weekend that it had been resurrected, I would have entered if I had known earlier but other commitments prevented me.

I suggest the reason for lack of entries was lack of awareness, how was it advertised ? My mate saw it listed in TMX which I no longer get ( trials central replaces it for my interests )

Mate was going to ride this then the Kia round the next day to make the trip from Kent worthwhile, perhaps we need more info on National trials, was this an ACU event ? I searched the ACU web site after I was told about it and couldn't find anything, if you do not know about it you can't enter it !

• Like 4

Clubs nationally really need to get their act together to publicise events. TMX is no longer the answer because few trials riders that I know now buy it. That's not a criticism, it's a fact.

Likewise, the use of social media, Facebook etc whilst great for some is not suitable for all. The older generation will not use it for its well publicised negative effect, whilst Trials Central, which is tightly moderated should well be the perfect answer for all clubs to publicise their events.

And people who expect the ACU to be their publicity vehicle are living in a dream world. The ACU is the GOVERNING body of ALL motor cycle sport, NOT a publicity body. They ACU issue permits, provide the insurance, make the rules and regulations just like all other sport's governing bodies. You don't look on the Football Association's website to find out if South Shields Rangers are playing Northallerton United on Saturday, you would look at the club websites to find those details.

Get my point. TC is the best vehicle we have for publicity followed by individual club websites, some of which are brilliant and some are useless.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this, would be a great pity if this event passed into history as it uses such famous sections. Could it be the need for road work that killed it?

I doubt if that's a real problem - otherwise why is the Pre-65 Scottish oversubscribed every year, in spite of needing roadwork?  No Rappers is right, clubs need to get their advance warnings out in the right places, and sadly that is no longer TMX - they have lost their way.

Then again I was responsible for initially resurrecting the event, and nobody even told me that it was available this year - had they done I would most certainly have given it plenty of publicity here on 'tc' complete with photographs to whet people's appetites.

Like Rappers says, it's up to clubs ...................

Hi Guy's.

We Keep getting this wrong.

Did I know about this event? NO.

You Know I will do every thing I can to get bikes back out of sheds  to ride any event.

So we need the publicity !

For Rappers to say it is not the AC-U's place to advertise events, just adds another nail in there coffin ,that authority that are  governing sporting trials.

It can advertise Enduros on the continent but has nothing to do with a Classic trial that is part of British trials History? it makes me fume.

It is alright passing the buck and saying put your adds onto TC, but how many Classic Trials riders actually look at Trials Central?

A lot fewer than you think, It is an age thing again, that has been stated.

Yes some would pass it on by word of mouth, but not all.

Rappers is right in saying most Club websites are rubbish, but the same goes  for them.

If you look on them once and they have not been updated for a good while you don't bother looking again, do you,

So If it is a AC-U regulated event it should be publicised on that website, make no mistakes about it.

Where else can you confidently go to find this  information?

If I had seen that trial advertised on the AC-U website I would most defiantly placed that information on the current news page of my website.

So where do we go from here? you tell me!!!.

Regards Charlie.~Oo>

• Like 1

here goes my 10 pence worth .....I am riding the Kia Round on Sunday which has a 100 plus entries ....Gerry Minshall one of the Kia Organisers pointed out the Trial was running and quite a few of us had entered & booked accommodation to go and ride .......

Then earlier this week it was cancelled due to a lack of entries !!!

There is more than one Kia Round in wales & it makes sense to "Piggy Back" that event to get entries .....but the problem here was the lack of publicity in all areas .....The sense would have been to ask the Kia organisers to put the entry forms on the facebook page or in with the entry forms ....which I know for a fact they would have done.

Rather than cancelling - I would rather have ridden 10 sections 4 times and self observed .....if they keep cancelling such a good event how will it ever become popular again !!!

Cheers as always

The Wobbler

Does everyone pre register for events in the UK?

How long before the event do your registrations have to be in?

With the events we put on here in Nova Scotia there is no cost or entry fees involved and we self observe so it certainly simplifies things.

Getting the message out to the masses is always a struggle. I have emails for all the local riders so just send them a note but that doesn't catch any new riders or promote trials and the events to the outside world. I agree the governing body should be part of the solution... posting events and scores from events to promote the sport seems very reasonable (especially if they are collecting fees from the riders).    

• Like 2

Did not know about it - have a road going Ariel, that would like a trip over the Severn bridge. One question I always ask myself as an unskilled club rider, will I make it round or are the sections aimed just at the top few. This is the sort of information that saves a 200 mile wasted journey.

Did not know about it - have a road going Ariel, that would like a trip over the Severn bridge. One question I always ask myself as an unskilled club rider, will I make it round or are the sections aimed just at the top few. This is the sort of information that saves a 200 mile wasted journey.

Sorry bezaboy,

It is not that sort of trial, it is a trial for classic trials machines, ridden by competent riders, over sections that have been used for years to determine the most expert trials rider in Britain.  Typical of those sections is Ashfield, a rocky stream on Mr Price's land just south of Rhayader town centre, the image shows one of the sidecar entrants back in the 1970s, entering the more difficult part of Ashfield where the bigger rocks start - it continues up the stream for a further 60 metres before turning left, climbing out of the stream then up a sharp climb over tree roots, that climb is about 17 metres, very slippery.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-64099300-1477213343_thumb.jpg

Hi Guy's

Hi Deryk.

The outfit Is probably the "Kenman" if not Mettise, with AJS motor. the crew well Ken and Des Kendall.

Dont forget that most of the sidecars of the period were built by the Kendall's to there unique shape and most crews that could afford one had one, even Jim there brother Malcolm Sparrow.

The engine to there outfit was a 350 Ariel and they were about the only crew to use this capacity Ariel motor.

Barry Kefford had  by this time 1964 just about started to build his chairs and went on to supply a stream of them up until the nineties.

Another bit of worthless information now-a-days.

Regards Charlie ~Oo>

Hi Charlie,

Yes it is the Kendall brothers, Ken and Des, with the Kenman in the 1965 trial photographed by Bill Cole.  Their outfit was powered by an HT3 based unit, simply because the HT5 and HT3 had been carefully engineered to give similar power characteristics, the only difference being the ultimate power output and Ken felt that the 500 all too often had too much on tap if you were turning up the wick and suddenly found grip - he reckoned you were less likely to kiss the headstock on the smaller motor - but still enough in hand for every need.

• Like 1