Tr77 (Again....) Petrol Tank Fittings

t20racerman

Hi all - yup, me again

I just got my petrol tank back from the painters - and its oh SO nice! What a lovely paint job.

post-21505-0-42591300-1477166320_thumb.jpg

post-21505-0-20177100-1477166341_thumb.jpg

The paint shop is in Ware, East Herts if you want anything painting. It's a great place :-)

Anyway, I have the rubbers for the frame lugs that the front of the tank rests on, but what's at the other end? There is a rounded bracket at the back of the tank that seems to sit snug on the top frame tube, but should there be something under this? Is there supposed to be a rubber or something under the tank?

Should finally have it running and fired up this week - for the first time in over 16 years. Yay! :-)

Adrian

• Like 2

Lovely paint job on the tank, what colour is the frame and other parts?

The tank sits on the rubbers at the front then held in place by the seat but it needs rubber between it and the frame aas well as the seat if possible to avoid metal to metal contact or chafing on the seat base.

Hope you post pics when it is finished.

As above, it's the seat that holds the rear of the tank. If you have the original seat it does the job fine but if it is a Miller seat it probably won't fit snugly against the tank so you can use a releasable cable tie of jubilee clip etc across the tab to hold the back of the tank.

You'll also need something under the tank as if you just sit it on the frame tube it will move around and vibrate like hell. You can use the foam tubing that is sold for pipe lagging or use rubber strips cut from old inner tubes etc.  Originally they had foam pads or something to stop the vibration.

Beautiful job on the tank

Had a problem with my seat its a Alloy base 1 original but for some reason it wouldnt go fare enough foward so i had to use the 1 that came with the bike the base that is made fron firbre glass i just took the  foam and seat came off and recovered the other base i have a spare base and cover. reading your thread as made me think i dont think i put the rubber  back so ill have to take it off again. lovely paint job.post-12321-0-07677300-1477238602_thumb.jpg the bike looks better I've since polished the rims replace the rear shocks New piston New chain and sprockets.

Edited by bondy
  • Like 1