Bultaco 199B

johnmartin247

Looking for advice on the forks, they were very spongy as pointed out buy the seller when I bought the bike, so drained out the fork oil which had seen better days and only 100ml in each leg, filled with new 10w castrol 200ml each leg, found the forks not rebounding fully and there seems to be air coming out the fork nut valve, could the valves be knackered? ordered a new pair any way.

P.S are the forks meant to be air assisted?

cheers

john.

200 in a Sherpa leg is too much - 180cc max

The hole in the top nut should work as a valve to release air and stop the forks pumping up with air pressure but in my experience, even when they new, all they do is spew oil in your face. The air leaking also reduces pressure in the fork on compression and softens the fork action. I just drop a blob of araldite in each hole and have never had any problems with pressure build up in the fork

They weren't air assisted but you can by fork tops from In Motion fitted with valves which you can use to either add a bit of pressure which also acts as an increased preload effect or just use them to bleed off air pressure build up, if you get any. If you use them to add air pressure you only need about 10psi max and you'll need a mountain bike shock pump to do it properly as it has the correct adaptor to fit the valve without losing all the air when you release it

Your springs may also be past it but 200cc won't help rebound so try again with correct volume and then decide

• Like 3