Just Found This Site,and Need Some Help/advice

wafflo jufflo

hi,

Back in the day,(80 s),..I had a mate, who was pretty good on a trials bike,. Entered the six day etc.,..and had good equipment,. I used to go along with him to help out now and again,. And used to have the odd potter around on his bikes.

At the time,. I was more into car racing, and used to do auto grass,. But the usual things came along(mortgage /Kids),..and that was that.

Now I would like to get back into doing some form of motor(bike),sport,. And would welcome some advice.

I am 54,..and would be operating on a very tight budget( kids still at home lol),..I have gone along to watch a couple of local twinshock trials,. And that seemed a good thing for someone like me,(once monthly events,etc)

so,. what to do ? ..I thought ,maybe do a local trial school day,. Before committing to buying anything ,just to see if I would still enjoy the actual sensation of riding,...then would the twinshock classic route be the way to go ?,..or be an old boy "beginner" on a modern?

thanks in advance,..any advice welcome,(oh am based in Derby) 

• Like 1

I'm the same age as you and have never done any form of motorsport.

I had always like trials as a kid in the 70s and the very first bike I rode at 11 was a mates OSSA 250 mar.

earlier this year(April), I decided I wouldn't mind having a go, so got myself a Beamish Suzuki 250.

Did my first ever trial in September and won my class.

There seem to be a good few 70s twinshocks about at really good prices £800-£1500

I say go for it, see if you can find some ground to practice on, after a few months of looking, I managed to find a place and haven't looked back. 

The classic trials scene is a very friendly place, with lots offering help and advice to new guys just starting out. 

Edited by shakennstirred
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

cant believe its nearly a year down the line already..thanks for the replies and advice.

well rightly or wrongly I have bitten the bullet and purchased an old Franny B trials bike,and am currently doing a bit of work on it, prior to hopefully using it in classic trials

I really could do with making some local contacts, to point me in the right direction next,as I really am starting from a point of zero knowledge

thanks once again in advance