Shopping For Boots, In The Us...

contiki

so, after a long stretch, I'm getting a TY together for next spring.

I have never had proper gear. Always a cobbled together bike, used helmets and second-hand MX boots.

This time around, I have a little more $ to work with, a solid machine, and the time to haul it to more events.

My first hitch, is what to do about boots. I have never seen a pair of trials-specific boots in any shop. What about them is better suited to the sport. Less armor, I'm guessing, softer?

I've been looking at the Gaerne oiled boots, and wonder about the big gum soles. Are they rigid enough to keep the pegs from digging into your arch?

are the tops soft? do they make shifting difficult?

these may be stupid questions, but I'm going to have to order something online since I can't see them in person.

Edited by contiki

My wife, daughter and I have had a few diffrent boots and from our end I would say...

The big advandage is flex and peg feel the trials boots make balance and control so much better.

The boots:

My wife has a set of the Gaerne Pro Tech and she has a high arch and with the softer sole she has indicated on some longer events that its a bit soft for her and she wanted a boot with a bit stiffer sole.

My daughter as it turns out has the same size feet as my wife and loves my wifes Gaerne's so we got a set of Alpinestars No Stop boots for them to both try between the two of them and they could pick between them what they like.  My wife likes the stiffer sole of the Alpinestars and my daughter likes both so I think my wife will end up with the Alpinestars.

I have low arches and somewhat sensitive feet and after trying a set of my friends Gaerne's I ended up with a set of the Alpinestars.  Over all I liked how the Gaerne boots where very slipper like but needed a bit more support with my feet. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

I have quite wide feet and find that the Gaerne boot is the only one to feel comfortable of the ones I was able to try, certainly alpinestars came up very narrow.

I also ride a size bigger than my normal shoe size, trying for fit has to be the only option, could you find a retailer willing to do sale or return it must be a common problem when you are so far from your bike / clothing supplier, the only problem is the cost of the return postage.

Another difference is that trials boats have good tread and are lighter for walking over rough terrain, more like a hiking boot. Walking sections in MX boots can be tough.

Gaerne are very comfortable I went for the Gortex ones as I enjoy having dry feet especially when it is cold.

As noted on a recent thread the Wolfsport seem to be a good lower cost option. For the price of the Gaerne you could probably fly somewhere to try on a pair of Wolfsport. I live in Canada but bought my boots in the UK... I almost went for the Hebo boots with the fancy tightener but figured Gortex for the same amount was a better buy.

thanks for the feedback.

i hadn't given much thought to the time spent hiking. I remember that being miserable in my mx boots.

i'll have to look around a bit.

My ty has narrow pegs, i may have to consider firmer soles. 

Gaerne Oil Balance boots are great for walking around sections, but as some others have mentioned, they don't really have much of an arch or arch support. Wider footpegs should help, or else get a set with better arch support. MX Boots are clumsy for both riding and walking sections and offer great protection for ripping in the woods but seem too cumbersome for Trials.

• 4 weeks later...

Older thread but... I love Gaerne's as they give me really good feel of what the bike is doing because of the soft soles. I also have very flat feet, like suction cup across a wet floor flat. This caused me to have bad foot cramps after a trials. The solution was Superfeet insoles with a raised arch to provide support. Simply remove the insoles that come with the boot and cut the new ones to match and slide them into the boot. They hold my feet in a better position without giving up any of the lovely feel of the Gaernes.

There is another benefit as flat feet tend to spread out and the toes mash into the toe box of the boot so fit becomes weird. Without the insoles, boots with enough room in the toe box are too large everywhere else. "Properly" sized boots by the end of the day had me thinking, "I need to cut my toenails." because they were getting hammered into my toes every bump.

If you have foot problems you can get fitted prescription orthotic insoles which may help with stance issues. My flat feet make me rather duck footed but even the cheapo Superfeet improve that. I never realized how bad I was until I tried skiing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on Superfeet insoles Dan! I ordered a set of Green Superfeet insoles with more pronounced arch and it makes a huge difference in comfort level of my Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots that really have no arch support to speak of. Looking forward to trying them outdoors, but content right now with my indoor balancing practice :-)

I went from Gaerne Balance Oiled to the new Alpinestar Tech T and prefer them.  They have a steel shank in the sole, which offers more support and are still flexible enough to feel the pegs. Extra layer on toes make for no pressure when shifting.  Great boot!