'14 Gas Gas Raga Foot Peg Bracket Broken

cackallacky

At a guess, I'd say that footpeg bolt was over tight. When you fit aftermarket pegs, a lot of the time the bushing that spaces the brackets is too short to span both sides of the bracket, which means that if over tighten the bolt one of the mounting points starts bending. I run stock pegs now, but when I used to fit aftermarket ones I'd take the bushing out of the stock ones and use it for the aftermarket pegs to avoid accidentally doing this.

That said, I'm sure you can break it just from hitting it the wrong way. Not sure about welding it unfortunately.

• Like 1

Looking at the colour and finish of the break (a very fine light grey structure) this indicates rapid cooling after the previous weld. MIG welding is minimum heat input followed by rapid cooling. Also there are many different "steel" MIG wires. Much of the cheaper stuff as used for garage work and light fabrication does not give a tough weld. Far better to use TIG with a tough dissimilar metal type filler.

Two reasons why non standard footrests can cause breakage are the size of the mounting can stress the frame and the aftermarket footrests can be less flexible, transmitting more stress to the frame.

• Like 1

Looking at the colour and finish of the break (a very fine light grey structure) this indicates rapid cooling after the previous weld. MIG welding is minimum heat input followed by rapid cooling. Also there are many different "steel" MIG wires. Much of the cheaper stuff as used for garage work and light fabrication does not give a tough weld. Far better to use TIG with a tough dissimilar metal type filler.

Two reasons why non standard footrests can cause breakage are the size of the mounting can stress the frame and the aftermarket footrests can be less flexible, transmitting more stress to the frame.

Off to have it TIG welded in the AM. 

Thanks!

That is a cast steel part on the tubular frame and by looking at your first couple pics, it seems to have been welded back together before...Maybe another new GG owner can look at their bike and confirm?

Yes, broke by prior owner. Cracked on me 3 rides after getting the bike. Broke right next to prior weld. Thru bolt from peg is quite long, may double up on the broken bracket to really beef it up.

Dad of 2 you don't half talk some poo!The colour of the break is fine light grey,yes as its steel!The size of the mounting on non std footrests can cause stress?Yes if the bolts dont fit and are loose?Aftermarket footrests are less flexible?WTF they are about ten cms long i doubt if they flex at all!The only thing stressing the frame on my bike is my 15 stone carcass and bouncing it off some large rocks!

• Like 1

Dad of 2 you don't half talk some poo!The colour of the break is fine light grey,yes as its steel!The size of the mounting on non std footrests can cause stress?Yes if the bolts dont fit and are loose?Aftermarket footrests are less flexible?WTF they are about ten cms long i doubt if they flex at all!The only thing stressing the frame on my bike is my 15 stone carcass and bouncing it off some large rocks!

Before slanging someone off perhaps you should look up the difference between brittle and ductile fractures. Many aftermarket footrests are narrower along the bolt axis than standard footrests. People then nip the bolt up to remove slack stressing the mounts in a way the designer did not intend. Loop type footrests flex quite a lut back to front cushioning the force transmitted to the frame. Stronger aftermarket footrests flex much less and more force is transmitted to the mount / frame. The brake in the photos is almost certainly due to brittleness and an impact trying to push the footrest forwards, not rider weight.

• Like 1