Bantam Yam Clutch Conversion

hewson

Hi people , anybody had any experience with  this clutch conversion , i have one fitted to my bike , and it as no feel , either on/off , reminds me of a Montesa 315r i had a few year  back , mod was fit motorcross plates and play around with different oil  , any tips -mods please ...Cheers 

I fitted one and it's really good, clears fully and has reasonable feel. The clutch i fitted was a second hand ybr 125 clutch but I have dumped the bantam actuator and made my own cam type unit which may help with the feel!?

Ian

the yamaha  clutch is very poor as you say on or off no feel at all .i use surflex plates and good condition steel plates with 8 spring set up ,20mm longer standard actuator arm and no return spring .great feel and very light with no slip  absolute perfection, many people have ridden the bike and were impressed.

Edited by bikestat

• 1 month later...

Sorry I cant add to the experience bank but would like to ask a question as I have wondered about doing this conversion on my Bantam. I think the gearbox shaft splines need machining, is this correct and does anyone know who could do this for me please?

Located in North East Lincolnshire.

Sorry I cant add to the experience bank but would like to ask a question as I have wondered about doing this conversion on my Bantam. I think the gearbox shaft splines need machining, is this correct and does anyone know who could do this for me please?

Located in North East Lincolnshire.

Just buy the complete unit already modified ready to fit from Harry Stannistreet. He will need your old basket btw.

• Like 1

Thanks OTF. Think I have spoken to HS at various shows. Does he modify the basket splines rather than the shaft splines? We had some concerns that his mod was for the later D10 and D14 motors (possibly four speed boxes) with the needle roller thrust bearing rather than the earlier phosphor bronze washer that I use on my D1, D3 and D7 motors.

Thanks OTF. Think I have spoken to HS at various shows. Does he modify the basket splines rather than the shaft splines? We had some concerns that his mod was for the later D10 and D14 motors (possibly four speed boxes) with the needle roller thrust bearing rather than the earlier phosphor bronze washer that I use on my D1, D3 and D7 motors.

Sorry i dont know about the D1, D3 or D7 motors as nobody i know uses them so you would have to ask Harry. He does modify the Clutch basket that i do know because i have fitted one to my Bantam "sows ear" project. With the clutch fitted you no longer use the needle roller thrust bearing though.