A Photo To Show What I Am Starting With 73 Mar

pmk

The work continues.  I had no major issues to get the MAR running and have ridden it around the yard.  

Most if not all of the parts needed are now in hand.  The frame is currently being blasted and epoxy primed.  In an effort to save some cost, I will paint, rather than powdercoat the frame, swingarm and kickstand.

One expense not anticipated was the spokes having aluminum nipples that would not release even after soaking in Kroil penetrating oil.  Needing new spokes front and rear had me also replace the hugely flat spotted front rim also.  The front rim had also been welded long ago and showed a lot of cracks.  Wheels are rebuilt, need to be tensioned and trued.

Forks have been rebuilt, totally disassembled, then built up with new seals and dust seals.

Silencer / Spark Arrester has been straightened, blasted and repainted.  Then reassembled with new packing material and USFS approval highlighted for easy reading.

The new replacement parts have been test fitted and are ready to install as the bike builds up.  Fuel tank, seat, cables, throttle assembly, tires, tubes, rimlocks and more.

Much of the recent effort is removing corrosion and refinishing various parts.

Again, not restoring it, making it into a resto mod rider.  Keeping the overall look of the original machine while overcoming things like the fiberglass tank and alloy fenders.  I think it will be a worthwhile project once completed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In early November I started this topic.  I posted two photos of what I started with, a 1973 MAR.  Picked up from the original owner, ridden but not destroyed.

Months later, and I never planned to restore it to original, this is how it finished up.  Many of the original parts that were needed for my riding buddies MAR he is restoring to original were given to him.

Mine is pretty much done, except for lighting simply so I can get from trail to trail without too much hassle.  I have posted the photos on FB also, sorry if you have seen them before.

The before and after photos.  As it was when it was rolled out of the truck when it got to the house and how it sits today.

As a kid that grew up around Japanese machines in the 70's, the OSSA had a bit of a learning curve.  I truly appreciate thank you all for the help and input from everyone, especially Woody on this site, and Alex Snoop here in the USA.  The internet and keyboard does not always convey gratitude, but rest assured it is genuine.

IMG_3669 resized.JPG

IMG_3684 resized.JPG

IMG_4319.JPG

IMG_4324.JPG

• Like 6

It turned out very nice.I have brought a few back from that condition and can appreciate the work that goes into it,many hours of hard elbow grease.

The tank looks good and will be hassle free.It is always good to see another one brought back from the dead. Well done!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scot taco said:

It turned out very nice.I have brought a few back from that condition and can appreciate the work that goes into it,many hours of hard elbow grease.

The tank looks good and will be hassle free.It is always good to see another one brought back from the dead. Well done!

Scot, thanks.

The fuel tank, one detail not visible or apparent in the photos is to drain the fuel, to prevent the tank from yellowing, I made it so you simply disconnect the fuel line, and then one nut secures the tank.  No removal of anything else, fuel can be drained in a minute.  Plus, no issues with the fibreglass...

• Like 1