2017 Txt Gp

faussy

Im supposing everyone has seen the photos. Anyone know any info, on when, what price and any differences?

For those who havent

http://www.photobysergio.fr/gas-gas-gp.html

Oh and who's idea was it to call the current 2017 bikes, 2017? Another bike released before its even 2017. Are gasgas guilty of "planned obsolescence" ?

Edited by faussy

Not sure how you can have built in obsolescence of a bike on which nothing other than the graphics really changes from year to year.

As for the 'GP', it looks like they went into the Raga parts bin and said 'Hrm, what's left... oh, look! Some white frame paint and some two way adjustable Reiger shocks. Someone whip up some new graphics and we're done!" That isn't meant to be a knock on GG, it's just that there really isn't a whole lot that they can do that isn't already done on the standard bike. I mean, short of a new frame, what are we expecting?

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

Introducing a new model so soon after the previous is a form of obsolescence no matter how similar the bike is to the previous. "This is the new version, its different and better than the old one". Technically the 2017 model is out of date before 2017 has even arrived. 

Edited by faussy

Well, in this particular case, my assumption is that GG released the '17 so 'early' because they didn't produce a 2016 bike, and needed to get something out to start earning. I think I can forgive them. Presumably they'll let the '17 go a little longer next year before releasing a 2018. Pretty much all the brands release new model year bikes at the end of the previous calendar year, so nothing out of the ordinary there.

Unless you're thinking that the bike pictured here is a 'new' replacement model? I don't think it is... I think it's just the special edition replacement for the Raga.

Edited by heffergm

What they are calling the 2017 should really have been called a 2016. I understand its basically taking the form of the old raga, but it seems as if its being released earlier than previous years (probably to coincide with all the genuine 2017s from other manufacturers). For this reason it seems as if its replacing the current 2017.

What is most annoying is GGUK reassure you no such bike is coming and deny all knowledge of such a bike 2 days before these photos are released. Do they think we are stupid? Bad practice in my opinion

Edited by faussy

What is most annoying is GGUK reassure you no such bike is coming and deny all knowledge of such a bike 2 days before these photos are released. Do they think we are stupid? Bad practice in my opinion

No company is going to provide information about unreleased products.... 

• Like 1

Gas Gas for a long time have had 3 variants of their trials bike each year:

The base model - which was called the Pro for many years, but is now the CONTACT.

The RACING - which was a step up in fit out, and performance parts.

and then their premium model - which was called the RAGA REPLICA, then the FACTORY, and now the GP.

So nothing has changed there, just the "name" of their premium model.

BUT Gas Gas has finally listened to all the importers and dealers about the release dates. It was crazy that the RAGA, or REPLICA models were built in May, June each year. if  a customer, say for instance, bought a 2010 RAGA when it was released in JUNE 2010 by Jan 2011 (only 6 months later) it already had a old model year number on a bike that was barely six months old.

A lot of importers have been pushing for years to change this. This release time of November is perfect for the premium model. It means bikes will be available early in the model year, and this confusion will not happen with almost new, but "seemingly" year old bikes out there.

And the fact that their is not a lot of change on the GP model can be seen as more of a position of where GasGas had to go with the RACING this year.

I feel this was two pronged:

GasGas wanted to release a good bike after the Torrot rebirth. 

They got the CONTACT right as a good entry level bike, actually "down speccing" it from the previous Pro model, but making the price way better, and really very very capable as a base model trialsy.

The RACING was really the flagship for the new company launch, so without the availability of Marzochhi front ends they sort of had to go with TECH front forks, and the 2 way Reiger was an obvious choice for a rear shock (carrying on from previous RACING models). The Keihin PWK carby was a perfect choice as the Dellorto was on the base model, and it was a proven performance advantage. I feel they got the RACING just right for the relaunch of the new GasGas, and it was a bike that everyone expected from the Girona company.

It makes tried financial sense to release a "new" model variant mid way between the release of the 2016/17 RACING and the next model year release of the 2018.

So OK now they still need to do the "premium" package - now to be called the "GP".

So what can they do:

Well like previous years put on a more up specced rear shock (I presume this will be the 3 way Reiger or similar).

Same at the front end - I would suggest this will be the next step up TECH forks with the compression adjusters separate from the rebound adjusters.

And in keeping with the Carbon / composite work Torrot are involved in they have a full carbon airbox on this bike.

Then looking at the photos it seems like they have done a bunch of small stuff like the S3 HardRock Aluminium pegs, red silicone radiator hoses, red fork brace, Full FIM rear brake disc, Rental handlebars and grips, and probably a bunch of other small things you can't tell from the photo - and of course the white frame and different graphics.

For year now the premium model has always had a different colour frame from the signature red of the regular models (PRO, CONTACT and RACING).

I think that GasGas has listened to their importers and Dealers this year and finally got the release times just right, - it's taken years of whining, but I think the Torrot group are actually listening and taking on board the concerns of their team.

That's my take on it anyway! (and I've been to a few of those Importer / Dealer meetings)!

And finally as for dealers /importers being privvy to upcoming model changes, they just don't hand out that information any more, as most companies don't want some regional importer/dealer "spilling the beans" and telling everyone about the fab new special release on their Facebook site before the parent company get a chance to "hold court' at the new model release. The cards are played much closer to the chest now in this world of instant news and social media leaks.

Lets see what shows up at the EICMA show in Milan this week.

Edited by arnoux
  • Like 4

more info here

http://www.trialscentral.com/news-archive/headline-stories/18749-gas-gas-unveil-txt-gp-in-milan

basically as suggested above, 3 way reiger, new tech forks, carbon airbox. All for an extra 1000 euro.

Is it just me that still prefers the looks of the standard. Ive never liked the raga/factory, gold frames, black frames or the white frames.

Edited by andy

I like the white frame fine, but I think I'm with you... I like the standard look better. The carbon airbox seems bizarre, I mean, maybe you save half a pound? I think they just did it because they could, not because there was a reason to. You're basically paying for better suspension, which is fine, but the suspension on the Racing is so good anyway...

• Like 1