New To Trials

lcgordon711

Hi guys I pretty much know nothing about trials but always wanted one. I remember watching the trials parts in the Terrafirma movies. Anyways If I could save a bit more money and find one cheap (1000-1300) I would maybe buy one. Queston is what would be best. I know going new as I can is best. My biggest question is parts. Are they really hard to find for 90s and early 00s bikes? A quick look at ebay and everything is from the UK and you pay more to ship the part than the part is worth. 

There a re a couple bikes close to my price range that are close to me. 

2001 Beta Rev 3 270

https://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/5863330785.html

Looks to be a clean bike at a good deal. 

1. Parts for it are they available?

2. Do you think the broken fender would work for a while? 

1996 GG JTR 270/350

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/5824033863.html

Same questions as above.

Is this bike too old to be reliable. I can do most maintenance on motocross bikes but without a good parts selection fixing things may be tough.

Is this 350cc cylinder a bad thing?

Overall also I would like the quietest bike I can get. Would maybe want to after work go to an abandon parking lot and work on balancing skills

Thanks again guys

If I was going to pick I think I would go with the Beta. Hard to say without seeing it but over all it looks well cared for.

You should be able to get a new but maybe not the same year look fender that would fit. And there is a good chance you will re-brake it anyway so take that as a possibility.

You will want to check what type of coolent was used and if the cover on the water pump side has been replaced as the wrong type can eat through the inside of the case and causes the need for an updated cover. Not hard or a pile of $ but worth checking.

The older Gas Gas is ok but the Beta will be more fun to ride as it's a more modern design.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Just looking at the two bikes the Beta looks to be way better of a deal. But if he wont budge on price it may be a tad out of my range. 

Im sure that i would break off the rear fender again but if I did decide to get a new one someday it would be nice if they were available.