44 Years Later

trapezeartist

Just 44 years after I last rode a trials bike, I'm thinking of having another go. Well, I'm more than thinking about it really, but SWMBO has declared "You've got to sell the boat first", which seems reasonable. Anyone want to buy a boat?

My last bike was a 1966 4-speed Bultaco so for nostalgia reasons I'd like to get a Bultaco again. However I don't want something that won't be reasonably competitive, so I suspect I'll be more likely be looking for a Fantic or Yamaha TY (for Twinshock, obviously).

No doubt I'll be dropping into the forum frequently, asking a zillion naive questions about bikes, clothing, trailers, techniques, clubs, practice grounds and who knows what else. Please be gentle on me.

Edited by trapezeartist
  • Like 2

Some advice from an even older guy - forget nostalgia and get a modern bike, it's much easier on the body and everything does what it should. And possibly involves less expenditure.

If he's anything like me he'll need help to stand back up on the footrests once he has to (and he will) sit down, I sat down and had to stop the bike to get back up.

??

• Like 1

Just 44 years after I last rode a trials bike, I'm thinking of having another go. Well, I'm more than thinking about it really, but SWMBO has declared "You've got to sell the boat first", which seems reasonable. Anyone want to buy a boat?

How big's the boat? I'd have been better off with a boat than a trials bike last Sunday.......

Thanks for all that advice. This is obviously a friendly forum.

To be honest there is still a bit of conflict within: twinshock v modern. It's just that I'm leaning a bit more towards twinshock at the moment, but I think there's still time to change my mind when I've visited more trials and talked to more people. I fancy I'll have fewer excuses on a modern though.

I only left it 34 years before taking it up again. It comes down to budget and an enthusiasm for tinkering!

I've got a 72 Cota and it's an ongoing project, there always a job that needs doing etc. I'm very tempted with also having a modern bike and started this post

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums&sid=03c15bc19589582a86d8d12474867fd9&change=1&search_app_filters%5Bforums%5D%5BsearchInKey%5D=&period=year&followedItemsOnly=0&userMode=title

Lots of good advice in there and it really is a choice!