199/198 Tank

sherpa325

Hi, just talking to a friend on the phone and he has a 198 red plastic tank that is leaking around the fuel tap area. I know these are different to the later A and B models which have the two 6mm screws, but we are not sure what the actual tap screws onto, plastic or a metal insert? and he is reluctant to try to over tighten it without knowing what he is dealing with.

Thanks Greg

Are they different?  I thought all plastic tanks were the same, there is only one tap for plastic tanks and that's the one with two 6mm screws?

They screw into metal inserts on the tanks I've seen but they can pull out if you over tighten

I have a 199 and an early 199A both with a plastic tanks that has the old style tap. There is one big brass nut held captive in the plastic. The nut spins in the plastic and pulls out. I have repaired the plastic tanks that have the 2 retaining bolts but never the screw in type.

Thanks Mark that sounds like the one he has. As I said this was talking to him on the phone, not actually seeing the problem. I would think it would be next to impossible to fix by the sounds of it. Found this photo.

Thanks Gregpost-222-0-02076800-1479173415_thumb.jpg

Edited by sherpa325
  • Like 1