Newbie Question, Why Chain Slide Tensioners And Not Rollers

pmk

Kind of as the title mentions, newbie question.

I notice it seems the chain tensioners, whether on a modern bike or vintage machine use a non roller style wear block.

Is there a valid reason for the slide to be preferred over rollers?

I don't know , Maybe because trials bikes don't generally run @ high speeds and don't have the same suspension travel / speed of MX/ Enduro bikes ? 

But we have had chain tensioners since the dawn of time , to help smooth the power transfer and increase traction ...

My Panda still have a roller type chain tensioner and this type is a bit bulkier and too needs maintaince as the roller bearing installed to the roller tensioner wears down depending the weather circumstances.

While the slide doesn't need any maintaince beside regularly control and a swap when necessary

Yep that's the case as the sprocket and the swing axel are not at the same point instead a couple of centimeters away from each other there are different lengths between front and rear sprocket when the swing arm moves. This effect can be minimized by less suspension travel, less angled swing arm and less distance between swing axle and front sprocket.

• Like 1

Guys, thanks for the replies. The machine I have is a vintage OSSA MAR, so the rear travel is pretty short travel. As original it has a springloaded tensioner with rubber type material slide block.

Seems the slider style is still viable as they are used on modern machines also.