280 V's 300 Trs

dmc2028372

We had the opportunity when we were out in Spain in April to try all three capacities - at the time I had a 300 beta - it suits midland centre mud and an old has been like me - I had convinced myself a 300 was the answer - when I rode it the power was unbelievable even with a dellorto - far too much power for an old un- the 250 was nice but the pick of the bunch was the 280 - smooth, controllable and a joy to ride - I came back from Spain and ordered one - and have not regretted it - the design of the bike has been thought about and easy to work on - I have fitted an Ohlins and this has made a great bike even better - I hope this gives people the confidence to take the plunge if they are considering a new bike and need a little convincing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that davesmith. The 280 sounds like the one. I've got a 300 factory Sherco at the moment and just find it a bit fierce. A good mate of mine who is brilliant on the slippy stuff rode my bike and struggled to find grip above quarter throttle. Maybe the 300 TRS might be the same..

• 3 weeks later...

I tried both yesterday at a test day, found the 280 to be my favourite;   really clean with a linear pick up , steering and brakes were absolutly spot on. I can,t remember ever having a bike with brakes like tha;.t very easy to ride, All you need is a bit of self discipline, it does what you tell it to immidiately without leaving you floundering behind.  The 300 was a different bike; the brakes were normal (just like my 2 year old 280 gas gas) steering and suspension obviosly the same,  the throttle was stiff and the motor was lumpy  as if air filter or carburation not well adjusted. unlike the 280 riding it seemed somehow unremarkable;.. a poor use of english language perhaps but put another way I didn,t want to get off the 280. A nagging doubt ; why were the brakes so different? years ago we used to line up new bikes ,same model ,etc. and they were always a bit different to each other ,is this a Spanish thing? or just set up?

Edited by chewy

I would suspect there's some air in the brakes on the 300. My 17 GG was delivered like that... not knowing immediately how good they should be, they seemed to work tolerably, right up to the point where they started locking on (the trapped air was preventing the pistons from retracting intermittently). After a bleed, they were monstrously good. I'm not sure if the brakes are delivered to manufacturers as sealed/bled units or if they're filled with fluid at the factory.

I suspect its as indicated by heffergm.

Though not TRS...

I have seen the same, two bikes with the same brake components not feeling the same. It was a matter of both adjusting them and a fresh bleed getting air out and then spot on for both. (GasGas 125 and same year 280)

Edited by jonnyc21