Spanish Fly Spark Arrestor For Beta Evo 300

ridgrunr

I just picked up a Spanish Fly spark arrestor for my 300 Evo.  Pretty neat looking item, but it looks like something one installs and then leaves in there as it is not super easy or quick to install.  My concern is that the screen type arrestors will gum up pretty much each ride, so it'll need to be cleaned regularly.  I used carb cleaners to clean past external type screen spark arrestors, but this one I'll have to spray while installed which I imagine isn't great for the silencer packing.  Anyone else using the Spanish Fly?  What are you doing?  Have you noticed any difference in the power?

I noticed that at the Northern California SACTOPITS.ORG event; virtually everyone had a spark arrestor installed in their exhaust. Here on the East Coast, this doesn't seem to be a requirement; though a good idea during the dry season with high fire warning levels. The ones I saw in California seemed to be inserted into the end of exhaust and looked like they could be removed fairly easily and cleaned with a torch.

How do you attach it?

I noticed that at the Northern California SACTOPITS.ORG event; virtually everyone had a spark arrestor installed in their exhaust. Here on the East Coast, this doesn't seem to be a requirement; though a good idea during the dry season with high fire warning levels. The ones I saw in California seemed to be inserted into the end of exhaust and looked like they could be removed fairly easily and cleaned with a torch.

They are a pain to clean properly, which involves removing the silencer end as you are aware. You can do a cleaning from the outside with some carb cleaner or wd-40 and a rag. I still remove it to clean thoroughly occasionally, but this can extend the interval somewhat.

But the biggest help to keeping it clean I have found is the type of fuel used. I was noticing a slight miss or sputter down low with spark arrestor, as soon as one day of riding after cleaning it. I would clean the spark arrestor and it would go away. So I started running race gas, and the problem has gone away. 

It just slides over a pipe and attaches with a screw through both.  On my rev 3, it actually slides over the pipe and into the plastic end cap.  The screw is on the tire side and goes through all 3.  On my evo, I made a little extender pipe that sticks out through the end cap to accept the arrestor.  You may not need the extender pipe.

Man I hate it when I pay good money for something and it doesn't work decent.  So I decided to modify my Spanish Fly Beta spark arrestor so I can easily remove and install it without having to take off the Plastic silencer end cap and messing up the packing all the time.  You can click here to see what I came up with.

http://wasatchtrialsassociation.webs.com/apps/blog/

• Like 1