Beta Evo 250 2T Problem

bfgjohno

Hi

Very new to this game and I'd be very grateful for any help!

I've a 2010 beta evo 250 2T and haven't ridden it much this year. I now find that it starts and runs perfectly but when I engage gear - weh hey I'm doing a wheelie as the clutch doesn't seem to be effective. Little bit scary! Sticking it up on a stand the rear wheel is being driven in all gears even if the clutch is pulled in. When I do pull the clutch in there's a clicking noise from the engine which increases in frequency with revs applied.

I ran it for a bit but nothing changed.

Any clever diagnosticians out there that could point me in the right direction.........?

Thanks in anticipation!

All the best

John

With the engine off, click it up into a high gear, pull the clutch in then gently rock back and forth till the plates free themselves. Once free find neutral again, start the bike engage the clutch and click it into gear. Be prepared for the clutch to drag till it warms up though, so make sure you have a nice clear run till it does!

jonnyjibs is exactly right. My Sherco clutch sticks after setting for several days. I pull it into third gear and do the same as jonny, rock it a few times with the clutch pulled in and it breaks free easily. Start up and go, I don't have any drag, my clutch works normal immediately.

It is NOT  a good idea to leave your bike for a long period of time with the clutch or brake pulled in by string, elastic or whatever.

This will cause premature seal leakage as the hydraulic fluid will be under pressure for  a long time and will eventual cause the seals to weaken or fail.

Besides there is NO need for that at all if you do what was suggested by rocking etc.

Edited by billyt

+1 on

Rocking for initial release, and stripping the clutch stack if this doesn't work.

Clutch fix instructions for a general improvement, with new plates and steels as an option if the fix don't work.

Oil choice also has an effect but I'd rather not start another oil debate.

Oni Nou

I have never had this happen to me as I would never do it.  How ever I do know of some guys where it did happen to.

The key here is the original post and I quote  "and haven't ridden it much this year."  which says to me it was sitting for  long period of time.

​What you are proposing is the same as tying down your forks and loading the front fork seals under pressure and leaving it that way for  a while, never a good idea.

Keep in  mind some guys store their bikes for the winter months so I am just asking the guys to be cautious of doing this for an extended period of time.

Also is the possibility that the oil soaked fibre plates can swell if the pressure is removed from them for an extended period of time.  

This is know from fact and first hand experience.  

Respectfully

BillyT

Edited by billyt

Your clutch plates are stuck together because they have not been seperated for a while by using the bike. 

To clear the problem find a strong wall to put the front wheel against and hold the front brake on firmly then with the clutch lever held pulled against the grip try kicking the bike over.if it will not start then you will need to find neutral first then when the engine is running click it into gear with some revs on and it should free the clutch plates.

Another way will be to take the clutch pates out of the basket and separate them that way before oiling them and putting everything back together again.

You can avoid this problem by pulling the clutch lever to the grip and putting a strong cable tie or strap around it to hold it in that position while it is not being used; and so stopping the clutch plates being pressed together for long periods.

Worked a treat thank you +++. Still a lot of dragging though. I think I'll change the gearbox oil tomorrow - and maybe then the clutch fluid. Then - if all else fails, open the girl and fettle those plates..........

I know it's been covered to the nth degree before ;-) but .......... ATF, 20w40 gear oil or a dose of the Motorex Cross Power 4T 10w50 I've got lying around for my  KTM690 or another (that I can buy in N Yorks)............?

Edited by bfgjohno