Correct Carburettor For Montesa Cota 247 21M 1972

bothfeetdown

The carb on my Montesa Cota is worn out and distorted. The bike is a 1972 Montesa Cota 247 frame number 21M8xxx (mk4 silver frame). It currently has an Amal Mk1 627/414 which doesn't seem to be listed on the Amal website, is this really a Cappra or scorpion carb?

I'd like to replace the Amal, can anyone advise what the correct carb is for that year i.e. 627/427 etc? The Amal site offers a number of options for a '72.

I'd like to keep it simple and original and stay with the Amal.

Thanks

Edited by bothfeetdown

That is the original carb for the 247 from that period

I think Amal have reproduced most of the carbs from that period so they may have them. If they don't have 27mm, the 26mm 626 concentric will work just as well

Cheers woody, the 627 carbs are not a problem as burlen's have them: http://amalcarb.co.uk/cf/vehicle/list/?manufacturer=Montesa&vehicle=Cota+247

It's the model specific bit that's different 404, 413 etc . Wonder what the difference is, maybe jetting is bespoke to the model references.

Edited by bothfeetdown

Yes,mostly meet them at Shepton Mallet  autojumbles, they really know their stuff, will build a carb in front of you to the correct specs.Also will advise to use a cheap zinc slide to test and once you are happy they will supply either brass or hard anodised slides..Very friendly couple with an equally friendly collie dog, its a pleasure to buy stuff from them.

I think the suffix number was for external differences, such as on the MK2 and 3 Ossa MAR, which was a push in fit as opposed to bolt on like the other bikes, but the same inside. Also might denote which side the tickler or pilot and idle screws are etc. Most Ossa, Montesa, Bultaco trials use very close, or same, jetting specs

I agree with Jon about Surrey Cycles. If Burlem don't have one built up they won't build one to order for you, you have to wait until the time they have scheduled to build that particular carb, which could be weeks away, which is a crazy way of doing business.

Also just realised my first reply was badly worded as I meant the 427 suffix was for the 247 Cota. I remember the carb that came off the MK4b that I rebuilt a few years ago was the same internally as all the others I've had on Ossas and Bultacos, and I'm assuming it was the original carb as it was a two owner local bike that had sat unused for years