Sherco 250 Rattling Clutch

andy658

Hi i hope ive put this question in the correct section, ive just bought an 04 sherco 250 trials bike it was a non runner, ive stripped the top end and replaced the piston and small end bearing and cleaned the carb jets etc it starts 2nd kick and sounds nice but there is a slight rattle and vibration from the clutch when i rev it and the revs start to drop but if I pull in the clutch lever it doesn't do it, can somone tell me what might be causing this its more annoying than anything as ive had a few sherco`s in the past and never had any issues with them

thanks for any help/advise given,

cheers Andy

The Sherco usually does not rattle. But any well used bike could. I had a beta that was only a few months old that the clutch would whine like hell. The bike was ridden very hard by an up and coming rider. Could just be grooves in the clutch basket.

The rubbers have gone hard & shrunk, have a look on splatshop's site in their blog on replacing the basket & you'll see the pieces I mean along with the cost of the parts

Not a hard job to do if you have the skills, cheap job to do & you may as well replace the basket at the same time if there is any sign of grooving on the fingers

I did might a couple of years ago & it helped make the bike sound like new

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/blog/2012/10/clutch-basket-fitting-guide/

Hi Andy, I ended up replacing all the clutch bearings, bushes, washers/shims, needle bearing and bearing bush as well as riveting on a new basket (and replacing the rubber cushions) to get rid of more of a clatter than a rattle!

When the lever was pulled it was reasonably quiet but let it out and the noise was 'interesting', not to mention a really annoying loud bearing whine as well. There's still a little noise now but nothing compared to what was there before and that horrible ill sounding whine has gone.

Your rattle (if that's all it is should probably be an easy fix but if you are in there anyway it's always worth doing some other wearing parts, I replaced the crankshaft seal, water pump shaft etc and a couple of washers on the kickstart that are known to wear down (mine were almost worn to nothing). Once you start....