Have You Broken Your Evo Rear Fender Yet?

ridgrunr

Guys in the club who ride Evos say there are two types of Evo riders.  Riders who have broken their rear fenders and riders who will.  Although the plastic is pretty stout, it's not as "rubbery" as the rear fender on my Scorpa or Montesa, both which would be broken if it weren't for the mounting screws I replaced with ZIp ties.  Isn't so easy to mount the fender with Zip ties on the Beta.  Just curious, how many of you have broken your rear fender?

My lad and I both have Beta Evo's and within a couple of hours of each other we both broke the front mudguards in exactly the same way a couple of months ago, they both cracked through from one of the mounting holes, have now replaced both with Bosi aftermarket ones (via BVM), they're pretty similar in price to the Beta OEM mudguards too.

For the rear I use bolts to fix the mudguard at the two forward fixing points and the  rearwards two I zip tie on with the thinnest zip ties I can get, the mudguards are plenty secure enough when riding (my lad does all the hoppy skippy stuff as well) but the zip-ties become the weak link should things go belly up - which they will :) Neither of us have broken a rear mudguard since this I've used the zip tie method, but we have broken lots of zip ties :hyper:

Edited by wheeliebealie
  • Like 3

I have a 2013 EVO. I replaced the front with a GG fender & brace ( bolts right on). Replaced the rear with a Jitsie kit. I think they are discontinued.

If you look at the stockers long enough they will break! It's very disappointing that Beta won't do it right.

• 4 weeks later...

In contrast to the other replies, I've yet to break mine but I probably will now I've stated that!! I bent my rear one right back past 90 degrees this weekend but it just popped right back with barely a crease; I was quite impressed with it for that :-)

Couldn't figure out how to use zip ties to replace the screws like I had on previous bikes, so trying to be proactive, I bit the bullet and cut the fender so I could remount it with breakable zip ties (and hopefully not break the fender).  I got a rear fender from an 85 CR85 Honda, $19 at RM MC/ATV ($9 on Ebay) to use for a brace. The rear portion of the CR fender is almost a perfect fit for the underside of the Evo fender, it's thick tuff stuff and the color is perfect. So I cut about four inches off the rear of the CR fender, notched it so it would fit up flush against the Evo fender/airbox flange, and put two screws in it through the bike side of the fender and three break point  zip ties through the rear side to hold it on. Sorry, the pics aren't great, but you should get the idea. 

fender side.jpg

fender bottom.jpg

fender top.jpg

• Like 3