Elstar

oxboy

Well I've got to say im surprised, i posted a request for info on the Elstar trial bike a while ago, over 700 views but not a thing, usually the combined knowledge of the forum can come up with something.

Thers a good article about the bike on the BSA Otter site if anyones interested, and if you have one of these bikes or know anything about them I'd be very intrested in hearing from you

• Like 1

Here are some details from our digital magazine archive (ORRe):

"Talking to Bill Barley on the telephone before the show he stated that maybe we could have the Andy Ross 500cc Elstar JAP. To our great surprise, whilst travelling up the M1 to the show we saw ahead of us a familiar sight, the blue Austin A60 pickup complete with Elstar livery carrying the Andy Ross bike. The pickup turned out to be the original which was tracked down by Andy via the DVLC and found in Newcastle in a dilapidated state.

In its refurbished state it was the star attraction, including Andy’s old Bush radio and Harrod’s picnic basket (surely not).You could almost picture the scene as this vehicle entered the paddock at a grass track.

Andy’s 500cc Elstar JAP likewise is the original, having been found rotting away in a hedge and was given the full treatment to bring it back to near original as possible. Andy Ross these days travels the UK with his shire horses and carriages, which is his new hobby."

The photograph included by Charlie Prescott in his BSA-Otter page is there simply because it was on the page alongside the Andy Ross story, I have included it to show it is actually my very dear friend, good ole '22', Lew Coffin - just as an afterthought how many knew Arthur Pulman started his sporting motorcycling accompanying Lew? I have included the photo to show you. Also bear in mind the above quotation was written over twenty years back........

There is Elstar information in the ORRe archive - but it will take time to reach it, there is so much that has never been published before that meeds to be released to t'Interweb...........

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-97383400-1480847694_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

And to add a little to the Elstar story, the lack of Elstar trials bikes is probably likely to their involvement in their prime sport, grasstrack.  For example Chris Baybutt raced an Elstar...........

The story of the photo, from the offroadarchive in ORRe is:

"Pat McCann (Elstar) from Bromsgrove leads from Chris Baybutt in 1974. Pat’s five-hundred

looks as though it has a Cole engine. He was one of the first to try a full face helmet,

and Brian Evans thinks that is why he appears to be looking up. “The early helmets

tended to slip down at times, so you had to hold your head back to see!”

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

post-19290-0-41196500-1480849899_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can point me towards a source of Elstar tank decals?.

I found one on Ebay some time ago but it was a pretty poor copy. I also found some good looking ones on a classic car/bike decal supply site but forgot to bookmark it and can't find it again.

Any lead gratefully received, I've emailed Charlie "Otter" in hope too.

Hi there and thanks a million for that response.

I have an Elstar J.A.P. 500 grass bike,raced it in the 1960's and now, in retirement, doing a rebuild.

The only Elstar trials bike I ever saw was in the SSDT, also in the 60's.

Many thanks again. :)