280I Sooty Plug

chaser

Did a trial last week and while I was checking a section I left the bike ticking over. As I set off into the section the bike just bogged and cut out. I couldn`t restart the bike so I took the plug out to find it was very sooted up. This has happened before when bike was left ticking over to warm up. Even after cleaning the plug the bike is reluctant to start and needs a new plug.

Is there anything I can do to reset mixture ? as it seems to run too rich.

Edited by chaser

Did a trial last week and while I was checking a section I left the bike ticking over. As I set off into the section the bike just bogged and cut out. I couldn`t restart the bike so I took the plug out to find it was very sooted up. This has happened before when bike was left ticking over to warm up. Even after cleaning the plug the bike is reluctant to start and needs a new plug.

Is there anything I can do to reset mixture ? as it seems to fun too rich.

My bike is doing the same just dies and the spark plug is sooted

I thought it was only us old bike fans who are plagued with sooty and not sweep plugs !

My 81 SWM 125 has the same problem but not after tickover but generally.

Everything, to my knowledge , is spot on even a brand new carb. Soots the plug up ad conks out. If I then clean he plug with a Gunston plug cleaner (sand blaster) it works again.

Same with the 280 cc motor until I changed the carb, it now runs well and the plug colour is just right.

Last thing I want to check on the 125 is the compression. It kicks over tooooo easly but then again they should. We shall see.

As far as the mixture is concerned, I tried going down on the idle jet, main jet and dropping the needle. Made no real difference until it was running way too lean---that was the reason for the new carb.

To be continued......

get the mapping checked just in case and have the TPS set at the same time. I run an iridium plug and do not have any issues 

That`s a bit of a problem, my nearest place to have that checked could be a few hundred miles and a boat ride away.

I may try to adjust the TPS and see if it improves.

If like mine, the TPS needs to be set and 'set to' the ECU. You need cables to do it.

I run a one step hotter plug, seems to work much better.

Where are you located?

Located on the Isle of Wight, UK.

I`ll try the hotter plug ..... does that mean a lower number ? I am currently using BP5RES

Why not avoid leaving it ticking over ?

Well try kicking one over and that might answer your question.

Mine all but finished my achilles.

It's not the kicking it's the sudden stop when the kickstart smashes into the frame.

I really don't know about the mapping but mine suddenly started running rich and being a man assumed I could sort it without any help or advice.

I adjusted the tps by ear and it runs spot on plug's perfect never missed a beat since.

Don't know why it went off but it was snowing at the time maybe that upset something?

Best running bike I've ever ridden and if it had an electric start it would be perfect.

Well try kicking one over and that might answer your question.

Mine all but finished my achilles.

It's not the kicking it's the sudden stop when the kickstart smashes into the frame.

I really don't know about the mapping but mine suddenly started running rich and being a man assumed I could sort it without any help or advice.

I adjusted the tps by ear and it runs spot on plug's perfect never missed a beat since.

Don't know why it went off but it was snowing at the time maybe that upset something?

Best running bike I've ever ridden and if it had an electric start it would be perfect.

I`d agree with all that :icon_salut:

Any tips on what I should be listening for ? And do you know which direction would enrich or weaken the mix ?

Can't mind but it's no hard to tell as normally the tickover speeds up as you cut down the fuel or slows as it gets more.

Don't loosen the torx too much om the tps just enough as barely move it the adjustment is tiny.

Be careful I probably was lucky plus I would know if my motor wasn't right before anything happened even though I can only do basics.

• Like 1

Don't you mean the best running bike you never ride :-), you will insist on riding that old wee Scorpa TY fourstroke and beating everyone. You could at least reduce the embarassment factor by using the Ossa to beat 'em.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Mike starts really well now 99% of the time. I fit a small Lithium batter that I activate with a momentary button.

Hold it down and the fuel pump runs and ECU is 'awake'.

Nice if you run out of fuel also.

Yes. It does still require a healthy kick