Alpina Aluminium Tank

gooey

Hi, that looks great, good to hear it's a good fit and no leaks. Did it come from Enfield County? Are you painting it or leaving it ally, looking at it I think I'm going to leave mine ally.

Yes it came from Enfield county, now waiting on someone getting a Monza cap for it.

At the moment I plan to paint the side panels blue but leave the tank ally with just round Bulto badges.

I'll post a pick when finished

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have just bitten the bullet so to speak and ordered an aluminium tank from India via ebay. Mine is to fit a model 188 Alpina. The tank is listed as a Sherpa tank on ebay but the picture quite clearly shows with the cut out as per the Alpina seat so fingers crossed that I get what I require! They accepted my ebay offer so fingers crossed it gets through customs without any issues or further cost.

My son is currently in France as part of the Army support team at the ISDE. I had a phone call from him last night. He has been told that baring earthquake or North Korean missile strike he has a 95% confirmed ride as part of the Army team (RLC) for the 2018 SSDT.  The Army have allocated places so he will skip the ballot.  I will need some transport as part of his support team and the Alpina seems a good option. The original tank is fibreglass and leaking hence the purchase. The joint between inner and outer shells has split at rear. Was planning to repair but I need to get the bike on road as soon as possible.

Details will be posted when tank arrives.

Stuart

• 1 month later...

I have recieved my new Alpina tank from the supplier in India despite being listed as Sherpa. Postage time was within the quoted period and I was lucky as I did not get charged any additional import tax so what I paid on ebay was the final cost. (Result!) I have not leak tested yet but visual inspection looks good. Good fit. Overall the tank is an excellent replacment for the fiberglass original and an exact copy and I am very pleased. Only minor issues is that the area around the front bolt does not have the local round flat where the rubber washer fits but I can either correct this or make a slightly fatter rubber washer that fits the surface. Also the fuel tap thread is smaller than original so I will be making a new part to fit. I have a lathe so no issue but for many this would be an issue. It came with an aluminium turned filler cap but I will be using the original plastic cap that fits perfect. This aluminium one will be modified to have an air valve for the pressure/leak test so will be of use.

The attached photographs do not do the tank justice as the electric light is reflecting off the aluminium and it looks dented, this is not the case. It is good enough to leave polished but I intend to paint as original.

Other Alpina owners might be interested to note the Mudguards fitted are original and are stainless steel not Aluminium. I understand these are quite rare.

Stuart

20171003_201026.jpg20171003_201157.jpg

Edited by twinnshock
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...