17 Gasgas Airbox

jsyben94

Hi all

Had my 17 for a few months really love the bike, just wondering if anyone has had any experience keeping the airbox clean. I don't ride in particularly rough or wet conditions.but every time I change the filter I have to take the airbox off and clean out all the mud / water it's a pain in the a*** !

Thanks.

Its nice to know that Gas gas has not yet fixed that problem, Why should you ride a bike that you pay 8000.00 for and have to worry about getting crap in your air box. Ijust dont understand why you should have to tape off crap to keep it clean!!!!!!!!!! Thats ridiculous. Make it easy switch to a Beta, I ride in upstate ny expert, and conditions are always wet and muddy and nasty, my air box is always clean and dry with no tape or modifications

Call me stoopid but surely it's easier to just post up than having to discuss it with every one who sees this then calls you at work, you could be there for a week talking on the phone with everyone. 

Edited by cabby

You also need to realise it's a different design. Most bikes have the filter fitted to the entry of the box. The gas gas has the filter fitted to the exit of the box. So yes it can get a lot of splash in there but it's important to note all of that muck still has the air filter between it and the carb.

For all the criticism this design receives it's exceptionally rare to get muck in the carb. It's a 2 minute job to clean it with a cloth, no big deal. Finally it's also worth pointing out that Sherco and Scorpa now use a very similar design.

• Like 1

If you dont ride in particular rough or wet conditions its really surprising you are getting stuff into the airbox. Are you riding with the lid off?

As said above, theres a world of difference pre and post power wash. 

The only ways in (other than the inlet) are through the lid and between the joins in the airbox. Previous ggs i had werent glued together but my 17 was glued together. Perhaps you could check and if not, dismantle the airbox and silicone the two half together. As for the lid, if im riding in rivers i tape the gap around the lid, if im nowhere near water theres no need.

PS regarding evoalien, id put up with a lot more than the infrequent piece of mud in my airbox than ride a beta

Edited by faussy