Alternative Carb For Montesa Cota 242 (Dell'orto Prefered )

pschrauber

Hi folks,

I' am looking for an alternative carb for a Montesa Cota 242, the OEM fitted Amal is good but shows some wear especially the slide and cylinder area of the carb body :( , surplus the bike came from a high mountain area and I live at 50m above sea level so I have to readjust the carb of bike quite a bit.

As the bikes I have in the garage are fitted with Dell'Ortos, I would like to keep the inventory of spare parts jets, needles gaskets and so on low :blush:.

So do anyone have tried to swap the Amal through a Dell'Orto and can even provide their choice of jetting's needle and slide? would be great and  B) !

@BRT40 so I have to ask DellOrto UK?

@NigalDabster will look there too

In general found a topic about the carb swap at the old ToDo trials form from 2009 the use of the DellOrto was heavily discussed and many settings where posted as too both possible carbs PHBH and PHBL.

Without getting a favorit beside the Italian gas air mixer was in favor towards the Spanish Amal. Their jetting set up was quite wide in the range. To make things worse Todo Trials sells now a "ready to race" Mikuni variant too which makes the decision even more difficult.

I personal now thinking about the Mikuni clone form DellOrto with air screw and idle jet nozzle or instead the DellOrto VHST which uses the same specs as the PHBH wich a square slide.

But still their might be an owner of an 242 which had already done the carb swap and may be can share about his experiences?

Well did some research to the Dell'Orto fitted 307, 309, 310 and 310 Evasion they had:

1. Model:       307               309               310 and 310e        
  2. carb:          PHBH26SD  PHBH26ZS  PHBH26ZS    
  3. slide:         45                  45                45 
  4. needle:      X11               X32              X4             
  5. position:    2nd                2nd              2nd
  6. choke:       60                  60               60
  7. idle jet:      60                  58               58
  8. main jet:    95                  92               92
  9. needle jet: 264 BN          264BN        264BN
  10. fuel valve: 200                200              200

Sounds good, still thinkin about the Dell' Orto with nozzel jet is the right way.

So did a test run and ... Mmmmh ... yes it's running ... but could run crisper, needs more idle and runs a tad rich in my personal opinion, adjusting the mounted carb did not change much beside idle rev. So I took off the carb and took a deep look inside.

Well the carb need's an overhaul, the slide is pretty much worn out, never have seen so much wear :blink: !

The jets / all screws where assembled with maximum force, on screw that attaches the flange to the rear manifold towards the airbox was sheared, :angry:.

I would love to get this carb in decent condition back, what type is it as AMAL has some types of the MKII, is it a 2000, 2600, 2900 or a smoothbore I have no idea?

Printed carb- number at the top: 625  720  403

Printed carb- number at the side: L25 27 and below 418

So can someone please get me in the right direction which AMAL type carb I have here?

Below some pic's of the mess:

post-12027-0-94299300-1481498744_thumb.jpg

post-12027-0-82093100-1481498913_thumb.jpg

Anyway I think I get additional a DellOrto for the bike,

the same typo like the TXR have with following set up:    

1. carb:         PHBH
  2. type:         CS
  3. slide:         45 
  4. needle:      X4             
  5. position:    2nd
  6. choke:       60
  7. idle jet:      58
  8. main jet:    92
  9. needle jet: 264BN
  10. fuel valve: 200

• 3 months later...

Testing days are over now.

I had some testing involved and finally got an good result, I checked first in the garage, than as usual decided to go with something different but at the field test out side I had to change again and again until being pleased.

Montesa 242-2.jpg

Montesa 242 now mounted with a Dell'Orto PHBH CS carb, (Yes with air screw as it's advanced in technology compared to the fuel screw type*).
I also exchanged the tiny original exhaust tube at the end for the aluminum WES type which reduces loudness a lot is as heavy or light because twice as big.

Montesa 242-3.jpg

The result:

1. carb:         PHBH
  2. type:         CS
  3. slide:         45 
  4. needle:      X4 / X44            
  5. position:    3nd
  6. choke:       60
  7. idle jet:      60 winter, below 10°, (58 summer)
  8. main jet:    95 winter, below 10°, (92 summer)
  9. needle jet: 266
  10. fuel valve: 200

WP_20170312_16_28_35_Raw.jpg

Montesa 242-5.jpg

* There is some rumor  that air screw Dell'Orto's are a pain, that's not true, they simply are a bit more difficult to adjust but can provide a better performance.To the air screw, it's just the opposite in adjustment, turning in means richer and  turning out leaner. The air effect takes time to affect the carb, for proper adjustment, use a slightly higher idle rpm, then really slowly turn the screw and begin with half a turn out until you reached the point where you have most rpm, then the air screw is adjusted. Anything below 1 turn and above 3 turns means you have to use another idle jet or nozzle.

Vorher - Nachher.jpg

Still a tiny bit too lean ...

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1

The air screw sits at the rear towards the direction of the air filter and regulates how much air will go to the idle nozzle, the result is a qualitative setting,

The fuel mixing located towards the intake of the engine regulates the amount of gas leaving the idle nozzle (already premixed with the air) which is a quantitative setting.

You have more possibilities when using the air screw but too a bit more harder work to determine what's right

The bike did run fairly good with the Amal carb, but was slow in response, it felt supersmooth but was a bit liveless for my personal taste.

As the Amal had worn itself down (both slide and body), one screw was sheared off, the zinc die cast is an issue for itself ... So I looked up the PHBH as it's contemporary.

The bike changed it's attitude being now much more lively and revs up quicker, it also have now an ultra low idle. However the engine does hold the revs a bit long after closing the throttle in my opinion.

In all it's an advantage for me, if it would be for you can be questionable.