Twinshock Or Modern?

trapezeartist

Notwithstanding my other post that sort of assumes Modern, I'm still a bit split between Twinshock and Modern. When I sit here looking at photos and videos and whatever, the twinshocks seem to have the appeal. Then when I go to a trial, I come home fancying a modern bike. So come on experienced forumites: which way should I jump?

Modern bikes are comfy and easy on your joints and you expect great things like leaping over buildings. Vintage bikes are rough feeling and can be problematic cuz they are old. Either way you still have to have the same amount of skill to make the bikes work. I ride both, just because I enjoy riding. Our Vintage club is just a little more fun.

• Like 2

get a good vintage bike and learn what Trials is about for starters , and then if you feel you've got the Talent and enjoy the Fun & feel of the events ,  Then invest in modern Hopper , But with the right vintage bike , (fantic , honda , etc.) you should be able to break even for the experience .... maybe . Or just go to some events and get a feel of what it's all about , and maybe try a scoot or two ...It is a different sport/competition ....

• Like 2

I've yo-yoed between the two for years like I think a lot of club riders do or have.

It's usually a bit of boredom that causes the switch, maybe some odd Twinshock or Pre 65 will catch my eye for a while.

I tend to find a good technique helps get a twinshock or Pre 65 around, but with a modern they can tend to flatter a newer rider.

You don't find yourself steaming down a steep, slippy hill with useless wet, cable operated drum brakes on a modern, but knowing how to scrub off that speed can also work for you on a modern bike.

Again a modern will climb stuff and all you are really doing is hanging on, with a twinshock a lot more planning, thought and effort is usually needed before you even think about pointing the bike in that direction.

I'm not saying a modern bike will do it all for a new rider, but they can compensate a little for a lack effort, planning and thought.

Whichever you choose, concentrate on technique and it'll serve you well in both worlds.

Edited by goudrons
  • Like 1

As i'm pretty poor with the spanners plus I have little time this means it;s wise to stay modern.

Problem is modern bikes are universally boring.

Pootling around in a high gear on the pilot jet trying to make the latest 300 monster pull a bit can get a bit mundane.

Don't really don't know what I would buy myself given a choice.

Edited by breagh

Thanks for all the replies. As expected, there are opinions going both ways but it's the reasons that help me sort out which way to go. It looks like it's going to be Modern. A further bonus that no-one mentioned is that all the training videos assume the use of a Modern. There seem to be clubs and events around my way that run a class for Over-50s or Over-60s on Moderns, so I won't have to compete with kids who can ride up cliffs and jump chasms.

• Like 2

You can get equal enjoyment out of either type of bike, so I would suggest you buy what your friends are riding or what bike is better catered for in the area / club you intend to ride at. Having said that there differences in riding both types of bikes, the newer type all require the use of the clutch to control the bike whereas the older twinshocks can be ridden without the clutch and have less power and in some respects this can make them less of a handful.

A lot could depend on the trials you will be entering: if they have a class for twinshocks/Pre 65s then you would be assured of suitable sections. If not, some sections could be a bit of a stretch on a twinshock, even on the easiest route.

Modern seems a wise choice if only because there is such a greater choice of bikes for sale so the chances of picking up a good one, rather than settling for something needing work, are relatively good.

A lot could depend on the trials you will be entering: if they have a class for twinshocks/Pre 65s then you would be assured of suitable sections. If not, some sections could be a bit of a stretch on a twinshock, even on the easiest route.

Modern seems a wise choice if only because there is such a greater choice of bikes for sale so the chances of picking up a good one, rather than settling for something needing work, are relatively good.

Yes, "needing work" is a bit of an issue for me with a twinshock. It's not so much getting it into god mechanical condition, which is just a matter of time and money, but doing the tweaks to make it reasonably competitive in the modern environment. There's a lot for me to learn in that area and it would be so easy to buy something unsuitable.