Twinshock Or Modern?

trapezeartist

Yes, "needing work" is a bit of an issue for me with a twinshock. It's not so much getting it into god mechanical condition, which is just a matter of time and money, but doing the tweaks to make it reasonably competitive in the modern environment. There's a lot for me to learn in that area and it would be so easy to buy something unsuitable.

So see it as a challenge - A big part of riding a rigid AJS most weekends is that you need to be able to get that bike in top shape yourself,there is as much pleasure in getting a 66 year old bike to run like a Swiss watch - and be reliable, as there is in riding it.

A twinshock by comparison is a doddle, I spent several happy years riding a TY250 without ever having to give up due to mechanical problems. Looking around on this forum it seems to me that modern bikes are no more reliable than older ones,preparation is key. Abuse any bike and it will fail.

Buy a modern bike and you can stand in your garage and watch it depreciate, Pre65 and twinshock bikes hold, or gain in value. Banter is also way better at classic events in my experience,as are entry numbers. Your choice...

• Like 5

There is no definitive answer , is down to what you want out of the sport and at the end of the day it is you on the bike getting the pleasure or not !. Iam very fortunate to have a bike for all disciplines  and can honestly say that I enjoy riding them all and thats what its all about . Nothing is best its down to you to make your mind up .