Helmet Weight

trapezeartist

Lighten up, guys! It's only a helmet. Anyway, given the diversity of opinions, it looks like I'll just have to follow those who are supporting my own prejudice. I'm inclined to think weight is not critical, within the range that we might be talking about. For comparison I've just weighed my old full-face karting helmet: 1600g! And my neck had to support that while cornering at 1.7-1.8g plus shock loads. Admittedly not for 4 hours at a stretch, but I think comfort will take precedence and unless I really feel the need for the visor on the Zone 5 I'll probably  end up with one weighing under 1kg anyway.

Following a couple of mentions of Jitsie, I just went and looked on their website. The HT1 weighs 1100g. They don't quote a weight for the HT2, but it is "designed in Belgium" :rotfl: .

Airoh quote "from 900g" for the TRR but as everyone quote their weights as +/- 50g I imagine 950g would be a better figure for comparison.

In my experience the comfort and venting are bigger details then how many grams it is. And on that note, if it was me and the price was even close I am still getting the better fitting helmet even if it's more grams.

Now if I had two that where about the same fit and comfort level and one was lighter and close in cost, I would be willing to pay a bit more to reduce the load on my head. Now if it was more than say around a 25% jump in price... maybe not so willing to save the grams...

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

Nothing like a good bun fight, but back to the issue in hand.

my ratings of importance go something like this;

1 Safety

2 Comfort. not comfortable will rapidly affect concentration, and enjoyment of the ride. 

3 Weight, every gram you don't carry around is more energy to use riding. And the effect can be quite significant on the last lap.

A tired neck can subtly affect concentration.

note; this is not a piece of equipment that helps you ride better, (it can help you keep riding in he future however).

I use a Hebo with the built in visor and it's fantastic, I went this way as I rode a few Sammy Miller road trials and found the visor invaluable as I wear glasses and had difficulty finding goggles to fit.

Weight is not a problem it's very comfortable and when the time comes I will buy another.

• Like 2

I have a cheapo Wulfsport "Action" trials helmet and it has never bothered me. I have no idea what it weighs, I have never found any specs on weight for it. However, it feels very light compared to my street and dual sport helmets. Even in XXL though it's a little snug, that bothers me more than the weight after a couple of hours riding. 

Following a couple of mentions of Jitsie, I just went and looked on their website. The HT1 weighs 1100g. They don't quote a weight for the HT2, but it is "designed in Belgium" :rotfl: .

Airoh quote "from 900g" for the TRR but as everyone quote their weights as +/- 50g I imagine 950g would be a better figure for comparison.

Ahum! And what's so funny about that!?  :angry:

:xmas:

By the way I love my Airoh TRR, it's light AND very comfortable. But it ain't cheap.
And I've got Smith Fuel MX goggles, that fit nicely over my glasses for the longer rides.
As you can see in my profile picture I used to ride with a "road" jet helmet, on which I mounted a trials visor, but in hindsight it was way too hot under it.
Concerning the weight reduction: every bit helps and will be noticed i.m.o.

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

Oh dear. I should have known I would offend someone. But it's not rare for me to offend someone, so please don't be offended that I have offended you. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt worry about it,Guys isnt that easily offended, unlike halfshaft !

• Like 1

Oh dear. I should have known I would offend someone. But it's not rare for me to offend someone, so please don't be offended that I have offended you. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt worry about it,Guys isnt that easily offended, unlike halfshaft !

Indeed, not offended at all, that's why I added the  :xmas:

I am very proud though, about the success of Jitsie. The owner of Jitsie is a member of our club and his father is the chairman of our club.

• 6 years later...
On 12/18/2016 at 2:06 PM, heffergm said:

How do you presume to know how much I or anyone else rides? Go ride with a motorcross helmet on, trust me, you'll notice the weight. Or maybe you're getting on in age (heaven forbid) and you have neck and back problems. Then you'll definitely notice.

I rode 200 hours this season. Real hours, on an hour meter, not bull**** estimated hours. My neck is always killing me at the end of an event. But according to you I'm not riding enough, and since you said it on the internet it must be true...

I Totally agree with you. Lighter is always better. People who don't see use of lighter helmets might miss some riding level or riding style.

• 4 weeks later...

I went from the Jitsie HT1 (was it the HT1 or HT2? … the heavier cheaper one anyways) to the Airoh trials helmet. The Airoh is less than half the weight. I didn’t need a new helmet, the old one did the job. However, I no longer need a masseuse, chiropractor and 2 hours of hot tub for my neck after doing wheelie practice. When you’re learning you will make mistakes like hitting the back brake too hard or slam in to obstacles. It’s all jarring and affects how long you can practice before you’re winded and sore. This is where the lighter helmets shine. 

Edited by apriljo
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just bought a Hebo Zone 4 mono white from Motardinn  and it is exactly what I expected .

Affordable 149+25 USA ship, ultra light weight, comfortable fit (I measure 58.5cm and this is a large), I recommend.

I have 3 other helmets suitable for road and trails, this makes a helmet focused on Trials nothing else.
Might wear sunglasses, but most likely hi viz yellow for the woods.

I looked at Jitsie and Airow , both look great as well.

20240110_HeboNew1.jpg.286451b083bacd1d6ad6f4ac8df2ae66.jpg

Edited by tokig
  • Like 2