1982 Mh349 Gear Selector Setup

montesamadness

Hello to all you (hopefully) knowledgeable Montesa experts!

I'm currently re-assembling a 1982 MH349 engine, and have been using the Trials Central forum (as a spectator) for information, however there don't seem to be any specific posts relating to my current source of anguish.

The bottom end is complete on the bench, but I'm having great difficulty getting the bike to select all 6 gears consistently. When I rotate the clutch basket by hand it will occasionally select all gears beautifully, but mainly it seems to only want to select 1st, neutral and 2nd. If I rotate the gearbox output shaft by hand it seems to select from 1st through to 4th, but no further.

When I inspected the gear selector forks prior to joining the cases, they appeared fine.

I've tried randomly rotating the ecentric adjuster which seems to (sometimes) make a difference, however as soon as I tighten the lock nut, the problem returns.

Does anyone know if there's a specific setup process, and if so, would you mind sharing?

Any help gratefully received- this is driving me nuts!

Gavin

Hi lineaway, thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I'm more concerned by the inconsistency of it- sometimes it goes through all the gears but usually not. I don't wanna bolt it all back together only to find I need to take it apart again.

Can anyone advise what the eccentric adjuster actually does?

Thanks

I know from experience that on the Cota 247, the slot in the selector mechanism which carries the spring loaded pawls is not quite central, though it appears to be. As such it's possib!e to refit that part upside down which results in being unable to select all the gears. Could be similar on your bike?

• Like 1