Trials Bike Evolution - Where Next?

johnnyboxer

Good subject starter, I think that until they get rid of the minimum weight  rule, (not likely any time soon) advancement seems to have halted, the new bikes are very good and easy to ride, I would like to see electronic on the fly adjustable suspension, this is not something that I would think would appear on a club level bike, MX in the US is kind of in the same boat, development is stifled by competition rules that limit minimum weight and an unfair advantage of a 250cc 2T in the same class as a 450 4T,

I personally believe the factorys could build a more competitive super bike that is extreemly light and powerfull if the rule makers would remove the constraints and allow anything the engineers wanted to try, (like in the old days)  trickle down technology will show up on  production equipment and in our hands after a few years if it is viable.

Edited by motovintage

I would like to see Triumph make a copy of Jon Bliss' twinshock Cotswold Super Cub. Perhaps using a titanium frame and a Triumph built/commissioned copy of the Chinese motor, with FI and a full-length bash plate.  Mono-shock, discs etc obviously an optional extra.

10830574_10152958834709477_1298131108366423700_o-edit-1.jpg

A very capable bike in the right hands.

Edited by stpauls
  • Like 3

Hate to say it, but the other day I saw the Honda clip about the bike that can stand up on its own (self balancing)

New frontier; Bikes that can self balance and ride up stuff !!

Riders job is to plot the coarse and not fall off or bugger up the machines balance and be left behind

S##t I hope not !!!,at least not until after I've been recycled

You know your old when you aren't looking forward to the "next big thing".

Edited by still trying
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, stpauls said:

I would like to see Triumph make a copy of Jon Bliss' twinshock Cotswold Super Cub. Perhaps using a titanium frame and a Triumph built/commissioned copy of the Chinese motor, with FI and a full-length bash plate.  Mono-shock, discs etc obviously an optional extra.

10830574_10152958834709477_1298131108366423700_o-edit-1.jpg

maybe you would like to ride this but i doubt many would, hence why it wont sell or be made

There was one of those (or something very like it) at the last trial I observed on. I was intrigued, but by the time I had packed up my section and got back to the car park it seemed that the bike had gone home. Despite looking like a Honda 50 engine, it seemed to have enough poke for the modest climbs on my section, and it sounded nice in a 4-strokey sort of way.

I see the appeal in the motor, they're compact, have enough poke and you can pickup a full motor for less than a replate and piston on a typical trials motor.

That one looks like a 140cc, but the Honda Nice 110 that uses the same mounts has been taken up to 320cc. You can also get twin cam, twin spark and all sorts, different clutches, cams flywheels etc. are also common.

1 hour ago, nigel dabster said:

Dont get me wrong if a bike was available for a grand then i think it holds a certain appeal to some and possibly an introduction to the sport, but at 1500 you'd be much better off with decent 315, surely?

Yer I could go along with that as well, but if looking for a project rather than a bike (and already owning an evo) it does appeal.

1 hour ago, nigel dabster said:

Dont get me wrong if a bike was available for a grand then i think it holds a certain appeal to some and possibly an introduction to the sport, but at 1500 you'd be much better off with decent 315, surely?

Under a grand, even made in China (at starvation wages) you couldnt make anything of usable quality at that price.