Trials Bike Evolution - Where Next?

johnnyboxer

In other news, I think that looks like exactly the sort of outside the box thinking that's needed ... certainly it isn't pretty, but then the older Montessas with a single piece seat and tank look equally ugly to my eye.  Maybe add a plastic fake fuel tank to make it look more like a regular bike, and a little downtube?

Are they for sale somewhere?  This could be an affordable / reliable way for me to get into twinshock bikes, decent examples of which appear to cost an arm and a leg compared to my cheap and cheerful 125 pogo stick

Perhaps we are coming to the time when further evolution is not that desirable. The more bikes evolve, the greater the number who will choose retro or classic classes. It could be quite a help if several manufacturers evolved their manuals to the standard or better of 1980s Honda MX manuals. People might then be able to fix their bikes instead of posting so many simple queries and problems on TC.

6 hours ago, dadof2 said:

Perhaps we are coming to the time when further evolution is not that desirable. The more bikes evolve, the greater the number who will choose retro or classic classes. It could be quite a help if several manufacturers evolved their manuals to the standard or better of 1980s Honda MX manuals. People might then be able to fix their bikes instead of posting so many simple queries and problems on TC.

No more evolution? Who wants that?

Dadddy if they sold the numbers of mx bikes that honda did in the 80's then you could have a perfect manual with a bow on it. Wake up.

The reason they post simple questions is not a lack of manual (which most get on a cd or usb) but lack of experience in repairing things that go wrong

14 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

would you splash a grand on it? 1500?

New I'd splash a grand to 1500 on one, but I'm confident that Chinese manufacturers could produce something like this for under a grand, some of their road bikes start from 700.

What would limit the appeal to most though is they wouldn't be competitive against a similarly priced txt/rev3 etc. and I'm sure twinshock rules would be adjusted to keep them out of those classes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

No more evolution? Who wants that?

Dadddy if they sold the numbers of mx bikes that honda did in the 80's then you could have a perfect manual with a bow on it. Wake up.

The reason they post simple questions is not a lack of manual (which most get on a cd or usb) but lack of experience in repairing things that go wrong

The growing classic bike and classic car restoration numbers. The production of retro styled bike by all the major manufacturers. Apart from possibly the prestige of WTC wins further trials bike evolution is pointless. Manufacturers should concentrate on rectifying weaknesses (The original aim of trials)

Whether a manual is paper er e copy is not the issue, its quality and quantity of information in them that is important. All current trials manuals are lacking to greater or lesser extents.

9 hours ago, dadof2 said:

The growing classic bike and classic car restoration numbers. The production of retro styled bike by all the major manufacturers. Apart from possibly the prestige of WTC wins further trials bike evolution is pointless. Manufacturers should concentrate on rectifying weaknesses (The original aim of trials)

Whether a manual is paper er e copy is not the issue, its quality and quantity of information in them that is important. All current trials manuals are lacking to greater or lesser extents.

Sorry your answer (as usual) doesnt make much sense.

The manuals for the gas gas on usb are more than adequate have you seen them, sherco is much the same I believe.

Because you think evolution is pointless doesnt make it true, and I would imagine is also wrong. The new Hidra ignitions which all manufacturers are now fitting make for better performance who wouldnt want that? Just one example @dadof2 @dadof 2 which shows your opinions are flawed

Surely I speak for all fellow Scots  when I say I would rather take up Morris Dancing than even open the front cover of any manual be it for bike/TV/ chainsaw you name it.

Maybe this explains why I can't sort much (Anythingif it's electric) anyway it makes life a lot simpler I don't have to pretend I know anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

The manuals for the gas gas on usb are more than adequate have you seen them, ...

The Gasgas manual for my bike is ok, but has no torque specs and is pretty vague about the expected service intervals (ie. sometimes you should check this, occasionally you should change that, etc)

3 hours ago, turbofurball said:

The Gasgas manual for my bike is ok, but has no torque specs and is pretty vague about the expected service intervals (ie. sometimes you should check this, occasionally you should change that, etc)

Try http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals.html

The manuals I've looked at there have the service intervals near the front and the torque settings near the back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Try http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals.html

The manuals I've looked at there have the service intervals near the front and the torque settings near the back.

I suspect your Gasser is a bit newer than my '04 then ;)  I have both the original paper manual and the download (there's a couple of differences IIRC) and it's really not all that helpful