Tough Twin Shock Trials

pjc

I have been riding for about 15 months with my local club(eastbourne), on a 65 Greeves TFS. I ride the easiest route at the mo, more down to my ability than the bike. We get quite a few ride the harder routes on a variety of twinshock bikes .Yam TYs, Hondas, Spanish twinshocks, Fantics, and a few Brit bikes now and then, Had an Ariel Ht5 on a recent trial which was taxing all bikes due to the rain affecting grip everywhere. The Ariel did well considering how bad conditions were, and 2 riders, one on a Majesty and the other on a Bultaco did very well beating a lot of modern bikes. all of these bikes are ridden and bashed and come back for more. The best way to display a classic trials bike!

• Like 3

For me the only reason to not be riding the grade I used to is fitness, practice, and if I break me, the repair time is too long, (can't get the parts anymore).

Here's the hard part, solving the problem for each rider to maximise enjoyment

3 variables are;

Terrain, same for everyone,( within grade = constant )

Bike, its ability with respect to terrain ( moderate variation between them, each being fairly constant over time of event )

Rider, their ability to cope with terrain ( widely variable, both between individuals and individual over time of event )

The section markers are trying to alter the constant to suit the variable, (different lines / grades). From a process point of view, completely wrong and destined to fail. Normally you would try to get control of the variables.(Never gonna happen).

I guess what I'm saying is; See how impossible it is for the section setters (don't hassell them, help them... nicely) and Sort yourselves out for yourselves. pick a grade that suits. and will take as many points as you think is appropriate (Hope like hell the variables setting it out aren't too different from the last trial). Forget about what other riders are scoring (they have a different expectation).

Sorry got off topic, but it was a fun little rant, have a good Christmas all, good luck with next year. 

• Like 2

If you're in Surrey you must be near me! Nr Weybridge. My local club, Thames MCC, have a twinshock class in all our trials plus the monthly Star Group also have a twinshock class. I too have only been back after a near 30 year break for a couple of years now. Just sold my modern 300 4t Beta and bought a 240 Fantic to relieve my youth!

• Like 2

Reading the original post the first thing to say is never ever take a view from a photo or a video, neither convey the grip conditions or the incline, I watched loads of videos of the pre 65 Scottish and attempted my first full of confidence until I got to the first sections on my bike !

If you are in the S.E. Centre then you have no problems with a twin shock bike just ride whichever route you feel appropriate for your ability once you have decided what it is. There is nothing stopping you riding against modern bikes (as I do ) on your twin shock and beating them on any route.

Go to a few local trials first to gauge what you are up against but I have ridden on and off for 40 years and I don't think the sections have got easier locally ( can't speak for national events) but the bikes certainly make it easier and look a lot easier !

Good luck and if you want to go to a good local event in the middle of Jan come over to Canada Heights at Swanley and see the first round of the S.E. Centre championships, watch the elites and then tell us it's easy ! You will also see sections for everyone from novice upwards.

• Like 1

Just looked at the entry list for the first championship round for the S.E. centre to be held in Jan, we have 3 Elite Experts and 6 Experts the rest of the entry which amounts to near on 120 riders have opted for either the blue inter route or the red novice route.

This must say something about the severity that most riders want to ride and enjoy, there are plenty of competitors who have over recent years dropped down to the inter route and now ride as over 40's to still ride against their peers but at an enjoyable level.

The same applies to guys dropping down from blue to red and ride as over 50's, not as novices but in a competition against their mates at a level they feel comfortable with.

Hard sections are what kill the enjoyment of a trial especially in short multi lap trials, 4 laps of 10 with 2 stoppers gives your average rider 40 marks before he has had any enjoyment !

• Like 3

Someone know if there is any tough classic (or pre65) trials in northern Europe (Holland, Belgium, northern Germany) and apart from pre65 Schottish which are the ones in UK? I would like  to attend a couple of them next year but don´t know where to go. Ventoux looks OK but it seems to be in southern France :( . What about Bilstain?

• Like 1