Tough Twin Shock Trials

pjc

Getting back into it after a few decades. I know there's lots of chat about which way to go, twin shock or modern, and I'm having the same dilemma but for different reasons other than the bikes themselves. I'd prefer twin shock just for the nostalgia, but here's the thing, are there any tough twin shock trials? A decent twin shock can be more expensive than a decent modern, but what's the point if there's not much to go at once bought?

Maybe I've seen the wrong pictures/videos perhaps? A lot on YouTube made me look twice to see if they were actually sections, rather than the kind of terrain you mess about on when warming the bike up. When I think back to how trials used to be (80's), classic trials seem to be using the same bikes but not the same terrain? Is it a case that if you want something tough, or how it was, you HAVE to go modern? Or have I been looking in the wrong places? My old Bulto happily bounced around the SSDT and Scott but I've yet to see any pictures of a twin shock trial with steps, decent rocks, big hillclimbs or, basically, to the level a decent trial was when those bikes first came out? They're still the same bikes?

No doubt there will be the odd one, but are there enough events to get a decent week in week out season from?

Also, the year of cut off seems to be 1983 in a lot of club rules, is this a safe bet to buy on or before? I'm asking to avoid an expensive mistake. Is there a definitive guide to classifications or is it club by club? Thanks in advance.

Seems there is two thoughts on vintage events. Very easy ones were everybody has beautiful bikes (That are very original) that stay that way. Or more traditional sections that are more fun to ride, (as they have real obstacles) and your bike should be up to date to compete with like minded riders. You should post your location, to get better advice.

• Like 1

Well the Elite line at the Mike Kemp this past weekend Chris Koch won on 49 and Glyn Ridley was second on 105. Kevin Nolan broke the swing arm on his SWM, hard enough for you?

Glyn remarked to me that he didn't think he'd dropped that many marks over the entire KIA champs total!

Edited by petert
  • Like 3

I've got a few trials bikes, (3 OSSA's, a Montesa, Greeves, Bultaco, Beta, 2 Gas Gas, Yamaha, some are 'minters', some are in 'excellent' condition. I like to see them get used in the way they were intended. I did a trial recently on my '58 Greeves Scottish and a chap told me it should be on display. I told him it was on display that day, outside, covered in mud and giving me a big grin....

• Like 7

There are plenty modern bike trials that use easier sections than we used to ride on Bultacos and Montesas and twinshocks are just another class in the event. I've seen so few twinshock specific trials that I can't say one way or the other generally but the Kia round I observed at would have challenged a few on modern bikes.

• Like 1

Its a good post, I have just come in from cutting out secitons here in deepest France for a trial I am organising in April.  My self imposed brief is that if you turn up on a 340 Bultaco or the like you will have as much,  if not a better chance than a 200 Fantic.  At least half of my sections will demand second and even third gear. The only problems I have is that half the guys that turn up won t have ever really ridden these and will worry about their over polished jewels. There will be an easy route for them at least. In   in my opinion good and even  moderate  riders of many years,  still like to ride hard sections as long as they are not overly tight or dangerous and relished dusting off the higher gears...you need however,  experienced sections plotters that know the difference between hard silly and hard interesting.

• Like 6

I have modern and twinshock bikes and from time to time ride a twinshock in modern trials, on the easier route. This gives a moderately challenging ride, certainly harder than the videos you refer to. So with a well set up twinshock you needn't feel restricted to riding twinshock-only trials to have a decent day out.

• Like 1

That's modern club trials, no one wants to lose marks! Organisers don't want people to get hurt so won't put anything in that may cause a big 5!
Bikes new and old are better than they ever were, suspension and tyres alone.

Trials is more social than competitive, especially in the twinshock zone

• Like 3

lineaway - Thanks, travel all over so no location issues, Live in Surrey, family in Glasgow, ex Richmond Motor Club. Love the rocks and intend to use the bike properly, whatever breaks can always be repaired/replaced so not keen on keeping it mint every day. Can refurb when too tatty.

petert - Good to know, have read up about it, something to aim for once bike fit.

spen - Nice range of bikes, envious.

2stroke4stroke - Yup, watched the videos, looks good.

metisse - Glad you’re keeping the tradition alive, what the bikes were designed for.

cleanorbust - Sounds obvious but never thought about that, solves the issue completely, thanks.

one nou - Great trial, thanks for the link (bit far!). Nice to see a Bulto clean that section at 48:39. Proper section, exactly what I’m talking about. Thanks for taking the time.

curse - Like the social aspect, but do like them tougher than ceremonial, feels more worthwhile washing the bike afterwards.

• Like 4

Its a good post, I have just come in from cutting out secitons here in deepest France for a trial I am organising in April.  My self imposed brief is that if you turn up on a 340 Bultaco or the like you will have as much,  if not a better chance than a 200 Fantic.  At least half of my sections will demand second and even third gear. The only problems I have is that half the guys that turn up won t have ever really ridden these and will worry about their over polished jewels. There will be an easy route for them at least. In   in my opinion good and even  moderate  riders of many years,  still like to ride hard sections as long as they are not overly tight or dangerous and relished dusting off the higher gears...you need however,  experienced sections plotters that know the difference between hard silly and hard interesting.

Where in France are you? Looking to relocate soon and will be wanting to still compete.

There's a few clubs not too far from Surrey, and some challenging grounds such as Butser Limeworks and Hook Woods to name a couple.

The modern clubs usually have quite a few classic and twinshock classes, there will be enough to challenge you especially after a couple of decade's break!

• Like 1

Over here Riding ITSA event's you best be on your game ,Especially if your out at the Ginder Place in Tennessee , Bob Ginder , (club founder and pres. ) is a die hard trials rider from the twinshock era , And I've seen his expert sections Shame Modern pro caliber riders .! But he also lays perfect class appropriate Sections with help from his crew , And you should see what his son , Dustin can do on old abused reflex ... :)  , never mind a modern bike .

Glenn ,   And I need to go riding !!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 2

Also, the year of cut off seems to be 1983 in a lot of club rules, is this a safe bet to buy on or before? I'm asking to avoid an expensive mistake. Is there a definitive guide to classifications or is it club by club? Thanks in advance.

We have a cut-off date of 1 Jan 1987 which seems to cover most trials bike originally made as twinshocks, but not the much-later RTX

• Like 1