Need Critique (Video Included)

jacob429

Hey Jonny,

Nah I'd be surprised if there was another trials bike within an hour drive of me. I live in low country where the nearest rock or hill is about 2 hour drive away, and the nearest trials training center is about 6.5hr drive. I may look at taking one of the 2-day courses they offer when budget allows for it. I'll be checking for connections on the large Facebook group for southeast USA, but that covers a huge range with several states. 

I figure the next best thing I can do without having someone to train with is film myself. Has its limitations but so far it's helped a lot. 

I would also recommend you pickup the Ryan Young DVD's, they are great and will help a lot... the internet video's are good but the full DVD's are so worth it. 

Good luck, your coming along well from what I can tell!

13 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I would also recommend you pickup the Ryan Young DVD's, they are great and will help a lot... the internet video's are good but the full DVD's are so worth it. 

Good luck, your coming along well from what I can tell!

I got the first RY DVD! I agree, absolutely worth it! I just really like how he explains all the techniques. Really cool that he also has a section where he talks about strategy.

I had another practice session yesterday on the truck tires from the very first vids. I'll work on uploading them probably tomorrow. Feeling way more confident and I think it's starting to show in my body positioning, which is also helping with consistency for sure. It's 80% mental I always like to say. Speaking of the mental battle, I wet myself at the thought of doing big splatters, but I definitely want to practice those eventually (except starting small).

The tires aren't as high as the platform, but I had a blast. I'm getting more consistent with holding pressure and carrying the wheelie - and to my own surprise, getting on the rear brake when the wheelie is too high instead of looping the bike on top of the tires! This is something I hadn't really anticipated learning when I got started with trials, as in the enduro world this would be rarely be needed. And I always thought it would be so difficult to train my foot to get back over the rear brake after getting on top, with so much other stuff already happening... But a few flat ground wheelies and practicing taking my right foot from any position and getting on the rear brake, then doing it with the little log on the video. But dang is it fun.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Here's footage from my past 2 training sessions on Thursday and Saturday, now with more fail! (Funny crashes on the 2nd vid)

I had a good long session with the trials on Saturday. For the first half of the session I was doing quite poor, checked the footage and caught myself not committing at all to the technique. Just a reminder how much of it is mental! 

• 2 weeks later...

Went through some footage from last Friday's practice, working on floaters and roll-ups. Also trying to work on that balance, I'd like to stop on top of the platform and balance. Also bonus clip of a crash while attempting to hold pressure. Then some footage testing my new action cam on a local trail with my dad and uncle.

The MX boots your in are killing your floater attempts... Some trials boots or at least a soft ADV boots will help a bunch...

Also, I would see if you can fine a good video of doing a floater turn without using anything to bounce the front tire off of.  It is all peg pressure and body position and you will have a very hard time getting it correct even when using something to hit the front against without using your feet and rotating your body correctly.  And using your feet and body correctly is much, much simpler when you have softer boots... :thumbup:

10 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

The MX boots your in are killing your floater attempts... Some trials boots or at least a soft ADV boots will help a bunch...

Also, I would see if you can fine a good video of doing a floater turn without using anything to bounce the front tire off of.  It is all peg pressure and body position and you will have a very hard time getting it correct even when using something to hit the front against without using your feet and rotating your body correctly.  And using your feet and body correctly is much, much simpler when you have softer boots... :thumbup:

Yeah I think I'm definitely not counter-leaning my body enough. I was wondering about peg pressure though. On the flat or uphill floaters with no obstacle, I know you need a jab of the inside peg. But for bouncing the wheel off, I've heard someone say to keep even peg pressure which seems odd to me. If you also jab the inside peg when bouncing off the obstacle, do you jab on initial wheelie, or jab after front wheel impact?

I don't have any uphills to use to practice on either unfortunately.

What I have found is that you don't need to jab the pegs when doing the bounce but you still need the same body position that you would have after jabbing the pegs.  So if you learn the peg jab well on flat ground then holding the body correctly when using an obstacle will be much easer...

7 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

What I have found is that you don't need to jab the pegs when doing the bounce but you still need the same body position that you would have after jabbing the pegs.  So if you learn the peg jab well on flat ground then holding the body correctly when using an obstacle will be much easer...

Good info jonny. You've been following this from my first post and you've been very helpful :)