Dismayed in the south west

hencam

Somerton Classic trials club ran their annual 'end of year' trial at Hext Hill, Low Ham, yesterday (28-12-2016).  firstly I will make it clear I am not complaining about a venue, I am just trying to provide context.  As the name suggests the venue is relatively high and is very open, so when it's warm it still feels cold and when it is cold it is B****y freezing.  However the venue is good and some excellent trials are put on by the club, yesterday was no exception.  Personally I had a great day, plenty of festive chat and banter and a good trial.  However as I was merrily riding round enjoying myself with a couple of other riders, we had the usual conversation about how much the observers and organisers were appreciated especially on such a cold, albeit bright day.  So on the last lap we did the usual thing for us, which to say 'thankyou for observing' we also made a point of having a laugh, with many tongue in cheek comments throughout the day with the observers.  

Today the club updated the web page with results and photos and a COMPLAINT, unbelievable though it may seem over 50% of the entry failed to acknowledge or thank the observers.  All I can say is 'COME ON GUYS AND GIRLS'  the least this dedicated band of supporters deserve is a thankyou, particularly when weather conditions are on the harsh side!!!.  

so a plea from myself and all the other riders who enjoy turning up for their fun day out and show their appreciation with a thankyou, to all those that may have forgotten, PLEASE PLEASE say a thank you to these ladies and gents and try and brighten their day with a laugh or two on the way round. 

• Like 8

Totally agree,there is no excuse. Finding a set of willing observers is the hardest thing about running a trial. I always try to make a point of saying good morning etc, and make sure I thank them on the last lap.

Sounds like it was a good trial,always is with Somerton Classic. Would have been there but it was my daughter's 16th birthday.

• Like 3

I rode in the Hex Hill trial and on my 4th lap I thanked all the observers, as I always do, so it has become a habit and I do it automatically.  

I can understand how a person could forget, but over 50%?  The Over Sixty riders might have a valid excuse, with failing memories due to their advancing years, but they were in the minority.

Some south eastern clubs use hole punches and riders self-score themselves - not ideal for several reasons, in my opinion, so we need to keep both the organisers and the observers happy. 

Remember to say thanks because politeness costs nothing.

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more, as a rider, I always thank the observers and organisers, I appreciate and respect them for their dedication and help, for without them, our sport would be in a sorry state. All too often, riders forget or don't care about those who make the events what they are. 

Working unsociable shifts, I get little time to attend events as much as I would like, but I have for many, many years now, observed for my local Club, on the ACU Classic Trials Championship and ACU National Trials Championship rounds. It is very noticeable, that it is the minority that say thank you, or even acknowledge you at all. More often than not now, I feel like I should have not bothered and done something else with my time. This was not the case many years ago, it would have been the majority, who spoke to you and thanked you for your time. 

I have admit, I nolonger look forward to observing at these events and I am now seriously thinking of calling it a day!

Riders, whoever they maybe (top British Championship or just your average Clubman), need to seriously consider their actions, as the future of their sport, may well be very different, if the volunteers are no longer prepared to do what they do. 

• Like 2

I sometimes feel that a £1 surcharge for all riders and then at the end of the trial, the observers get this divvied up surcharge to use would help the situation sometimes.

this however may cause the saying Thankyou issue to get worse, which there is no excuse for, as some thick skinned, people without manners, may say Why do they need to say Thankyou as the observers are getting Paid.

Basic civilities and politeness cost nothing and reflect as much on the person using them as the message being delivered!

• Like 3

Sadly there is no 'one answer fits all' to the perennial problem of riders who appear to lack all sense of common decency - and, having ridden, observed and organised on many occasions over a lifetime I am aware that it is the same riders who 'push in' when waiting at sections, or wander through sections in size seventeen boots kicking obstacles into the path of other riders, etc.

Some clubs recognise that this problem can be eased by official recognition of their observers, maybe with a contribution towards expenses, sometimes just with a non-competing rider circulating with flasks of tea, coffee or soup - or even just taking over the observing for a short period to give the observer a break.

Talk to people who rode in trials that I organised and you will find plenty who know that I was not backward at telling riders who were noted for being rude that there presence was less important than our officials presence at future events.........

• Like 4

It seems this type of behavior is across the board these days :(

Consideration, appreciation and politeness is a rare commodity. I don't know whether its a current generation thing or what? I was brought up to be polite, appreciate things and above all - always consider other people! Like its already been mentioned, it costs nothing to polite and considerate, yet some folk are ignorant of others and often take things for granted.

Some folk just think its their god given right to be served by others, selfishness is rife in society these days and it saddens me to see it.

Great post hencam

• Like 6

May I offer a slightly different angle on this? As a returner to trials after half-a-lifetime, I am pretty much a newcomer. Until I get a bike of my own I'm attending trials and observing. I offer myself as an observer in order to help, learn, get involved and because I enjoy it. I don't observe in order to be thanked, paid a few quid in petrol money or given a cup of coffee.

Last Tuesday I observed on a trial, and a seriously chilly day it was too. On the last lap I would guess about 80% of riders said "Thanks for observing." Exactly those words, every time. When it's repeated over and over it starts to sound insincere, no matter how sincerely it's really meant. I didn't feel any better towards those who said it, or worse towards those who didn't. Perhaps it's just me.:unsure:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

May I offer a slightly different angle on this? As a returner to trials after half-a-lifetime, I am pretty much a newcomer. Until I get a bike of my own I'm attending trials and observing. I offer myself as an observer in order to help, learn, get involved and because I enjoy it. I don't observe in order to be thanked, paid a few quid in petrol money or given a cup of coffee.

Last Tuesday I observed on a trial, and a seriously chilly day it was too. On the last lap I would guess about 80% of riders said "Thanks for observing." Exactly those words, every time. When it's repeated over and over it starts to sound insincere, no matter how sincerely it's really meant. I didn't feel any better towards those who said it, or worse towards those who didn't. Perhaps it's just me.:unsure:

I've done my fair share of observing also and I can see where you are coming from. I've sometimes really enjoyed the task but also been there when the weather is against you and you are on the receiving end of disgruntled riders! Yes some folk don't offer sincere thanks, and you know they are just going through the motions. But appreciation can be shown in more ways than just a quick thanks as the competitor rides away. When I walk a section I always make an effort to engage in conversation with the observer just to show them that I appreciate that they are there. Especially if it means standing there in the cold for hours. Just some acknowledgement is all it takes sometimes, there is no excuse for ignorance!  

• Like 2

I don't ride regularly enough any more but you always used to see the observers week in week out and I considered them friends as much as the guys you ride with. I would always try and have a chat and says thanks each time round. 

Not wishing to be too controversial but I wonder if it's a north/south thing as well? I'm a southern born and bread but I've just come back from a week in Yorkshire with my inlaws and I would say that drivers were generally less pushy and almost always acknowledged if you stopped for them, which rarely happens around where I live! 

Surely it's better to have a banter with the observer. It's harder to 5 someone you like not that I'm suggesting this happens.

I certainly don't mind the odd stint observing as it gives me a chance to tell everyone how rubbish they are and generally criticise there bike.

• Like 5