More Kawasaki Help, please

laird387

Definitely Richie Sunter, but was Alec Wright involved with Kawasaki as early as this? In answer to my own question, he may have been. Alec Wright started up Competition Developments in around 1973 with John Gazeley (his sidecar passenger when Wrighty rode in sidecar trials), when they modified Kawasaki scramblers, laying down the shocks and from there he was always involved with Kawsaki.

However, there's no date on the Sunter picture and being on the bike he is riding, it could be prior to 1973, so if prior to '73 then it's unlikely to be a Wright supplied machine, but if after '73 then it could be.

On a separate note, I rode KDX Kawasakis in enduros from 1984 to 1991, all generously loaned to me by Alec with a good spares budget as well. Despite any reputation he may have generated, I can only say that he was a very generous man to me and offered the loan of a bike every year without me ever asking or suggesting he might continue the sponsorship.

As an appreciation of his generosity, one year I sent him a glossy coffee table style book featuring pictures of Morecambe Bay (where TMX is based) and his reply to me suggested that few riders ever sent thanks, let alone a small gift and there's no doubt he was dead chuffed to receive the present. I last met him at a Victory Reunion dinner in around 2007 and he even remembered it then and remarked upon it when we had a brief chat.

Sadly, Alec passed away in 2010.

Edited by hillary

Yes, Richie Sunter did ride a works supported Kawasaki, in 1974/5 from memory, as did Nigel Birkett, in an arrangement through Don Smith with the importers. I think Alec Wright was involved. Kawasaki slashed their trials budget shortly after, meaning both riders were dropped, though both moved to bikes which one would think they regarded as more competitive at the level they were riding (Montesa in Sunter's case and Ossa in Birkett's).

Interestingly, Kawasaki then adopted a policy which in their words made every private owner a works rider, undertaking to pay a cash sum to any KT250 rider making the major awards in national or, I think, centre trials. Such was the relative competitiveness of the bike, I don't think they had to pay anyone!

• Like 1

Another link to the Alec Wright tie-up with Kawasaki.

Around 1974 Mary and I had started dabbling in sidecar trials, initially with a BSA B40 outfit (which was useless). Alec and John Gazely had been good friends of ours since 1964 when I had arranged for them to join a sidecar trials demonstration with their works Greeves outfit in conjunction with the St Cucufa Trial in Paris, the first time sidecar trials action had been seen on the Continent.  Seeing our useless B40 plot, Alec, who was riding another of John Gazely's excellent creations but powered with a 230cc works Ossa motor, offered us that outfit - but less the motor, which wasn't his to sell, because John had just finished its successor, this time powered by a 450cc Kawasaki motor.

In those days Peter Fletcher was the Ossa supremo for the UK, and Peter and I were old buddies from our days in the West Leeds club, so he let me keep the motor for a nominal payment - and Mary and I had a real outfit.......Attached is a photo of Peter (Fearless Fred) when Fletcher's were the concessionaires, note Peter's personalised registration on the Ossa.

Jack Mathews then took us under his wing and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

'0-1-2012-09-21 09.19.14 copy-1.jpg

Edited by laird387
inserting image

I lived in hemel hempstead till 75, and regularily went to the CD shop in st albans. Think i bought my first ever VF plastic gaurds from them.

Around the same time I think I remember Don Smith riding a works kwacker locally before the actual production bike came out. My guess is that Richies bike is a works one, and the misquote I heard him say was it was one of the worst bikes he rode....

They always looked so good in the brochures.

16 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Yes, Richie Sunter did ride a works supported Kawasaki, in 1974/5 from memory, as did Nigel Birkett, in an arrangement through Don Smith with the importers. I think Alec Wright was involved. Kawasaki slashed their trials budget shortly after, meaning both riders were dropped, though both moved to bikes which one would think they regarded as more competitive at the level they were riding (Montesa in Sunter's case and Ossa in Birkett's).

Interestingly, Kawasaki then adopted a policy which in their words made every private owner a works rider, undertaking to pay a cash sum to any KT250 rider making the major awards in national or, I think, centre trials. Such was the relative competitiveness of the bike, I don't think they had to pay anyone!

You are right about the payment for results. I don't know about Nationals but Centre Trials were £10 for a win and £5 for Novice award. Ian Haydon was quite successful in the South West Centre on a Torbay Motorcycles Kawasaki KT 250 around 75,76

Edited by rodt
  • Like 2