Scott Trial help, please.

laird387

Baz tells me,

"Hi Deryk  the riders are    no  46   the one and only  Mike Rapley   broken  down,  &   58  is  Richard   Sharp  from York   ,, the section  is at  Booze in   Arkengarthdale  .   The year is 1978...

Mart   won  making  it  three  in  a row....."

Thanks Baz, another step nearer getting the full story out for everyone to see.

Deryk

Edited by laird387
minor grammar adjust
  • Like 1

Rappers has just emailed me privately with the following comment:

"I’ve just spotted your picture on TC of me taken in the Scott Trial, however, I’m not certain that the year is correct but I guess if it’s a Barry picture he will have got it right.

One thing for certain is that it’s a Suzuki and the reason I broke down was because a rock had gone round with the back wheel and punched a hole in the Suzuki’s plastic airbox which also formed part of the mudguard (as they do these days). Water filled the air box and eventually the carburettor and put me out of the trial.

The Scott is the only event that has always beaten me. I rode it four times, twice on Bultacos and twice on Suzukis. Twice I retired with broken footrests off the Bultacos, once for the reason above and once because I was out of time approaching Goat Splash on the way back in and was waved off. I’ve always managed to finish  other events, the SSDT and the ISDE but the Scott is my downfall. However, I have been there every year since 1978 when I went to TMX and have not missed one since."

Thanks Mike, another nugget to add to the accuracy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2016 at 3:17 PM, laird387 said:

In spite of what the petrol tank motif says, this is NOT one of my sponsored riders...........

Please can anyone confirm the year of the Scott trial and the name of the Montesa rider?

Enjoy

'0-1-mon 050713-1.jpg

Sponsored by Wyldes Motorcycles. Roundhay Road In Leeds, I guess ?