Mont Ventoux Classic trial. 2017

metisse

Whilst quite a while off, the dates  have been set for the Classic trial in Mont Ventoux   Provence for the 14th and 15 th October. 

Those who fancy a European adventure this comes highly recommended, for how it all works, and information please look at previous posts here over the last two years.

Regs normally come out around the end of July, and its advisable to get in early with entry and booking accommadation .

• Like 1

There are 20 sections per day, doesn t sound enough , but with the ride round you are riding all day usually finishing mid to late afternoon.

Routes.. hard, medium and easy.  The hard route has now become quite difficult,  some big steps, short runups and very technical. They have tried be a little too clever trying to get the household names back and upped the level. The result is, that many good riders that should ride the hard route have dropped down. The middle route to be honest is a little easy  for the better rider, and sub five marks on the day is the norm, you cannot afford a five or even a three. The easy route is from what I see quite easy and straight forward . The three man team you have to belong to, must all ride the same route.  The handicap system in place means that its better to ride a pre65 and then  pre 80, post 80 bikes incur added marks that make even a dab expensive as it becomes two.  A slight moan  now,  the Pre 65 class and the tricked up, modded  bikes that now ride in this, including first model Bultacos, coupled with good riders  have in my humble opinion to much of an advantage, so it takes an almost fautless ride to figure in the results if you are riding the pre 80 and certainly the post 80 bikes. 

It is still though a very good weekend away and certainly worth doing if only once.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Metisse,

hope youre well.

Its a great trial although slightly confusing where the scores are concerned.

I would ride the middle course ....But I Think this year we might take 80cc Fantics to some of these trials and ride the easier route ....just for the banter.

The hard course just looked a little tight for me !!

We are including it in our plan for next year - much he same as Costa Brava .......This Year .....Bikes & a van / trailer out with most of us flying.

What is on the weekend before & after .....as some of us might try and do 2 or 3 trials ....leaving the bikes & a driver there and flying in and out ???

Keep me in the loop !!

Cheers

as always

THE WOBBLER

Hi Guys,

You certainly looked like you enjoyed the trial in Saint Feliu, I had to chuckle when stopping for a chat to see three dismembered Fantics on the pavement all being robbed of bits to make one good one.  I will have a look and see as the dates come up to see if a road trip of classic trials would be possible . Have a great new year and look forward to seeing you this side of the channel later in the year.

The usual candidates, but no converted mono's with twinshocks added, and no later mono engines in twinshock frames although in the case of 301 / 303 engines it seems to be ok.  To be honest this trial a few years ago used to be a showcase for largely Pre 80 bikes with lots of original bikes making a yearly appearance. In the last few years history has repeated itself,  and these bikes are being left in the shed and  shiny new Fantic's have made up a huge part of the entry.  The fact the  handicap if you ride anything pre80,  helps level the playing field, and if you want to trouble the trophy engravers , you are better riding something built earlier, better still a Pre65. 

• Like 1