Betor shocks which way up?

iconic558

I run my shocks with the body on the bottom..the non-sexy orientation....with the decals the right way up.

Quite often someone will comment that this is incorrect...had it today at the Dabbers from my mate. He told me that his damping went off after a year,  but by turning them upside down they had a new lease of life....but anyone in the Anglian area whom knows the rider of a much much modified white tanked red framed TY175, will also know he maybe tight as a ducks chuff but does know his stuff.

So I googled the Betor website and according to their bumpf I'm correct.

That said as the gas part is just a pressurised bladder over the oil to stop it foaming. I can see that it shouldn't make any difference, but surely the manufacturer would know their onions and their product?

I know the argument of unsprung weight but please humour me.

Cheers guys, keep the feet up.

Edited by iconic558

In general,  gas shock with a seperation device, either bladder or floating piston can be positioned at any angle if serviced correctly or has not lost any fluid.

Emulsion gas shocks, that do not isolate the the fluid from gas need to be positioned in accordance with what the manufacturers recommends.

As for inverting a shock after it has lost fluid can make the bike feel good during the initial part of suspension movement, but as the suspension compresses further, it is likely there will be no damping to slow the bottoming action, and the shocks themselves will be hammered into useless condition.

I used to have mine the 'right' way up because to me they look right that way. I had a few comments but the thing that made me change them was because I noticed that mud gathered on the top of the damper where the piston rod slides which I thought might wear the seals quicker. 

• Like 1