Beta Evo maintenance schedule

harryharls

Hi,

I have an Evo 250 2014 and I don't know it's history in terms of how it's been looked after. It's absolutely fine with no problems but I've been looking through the manual and the scheduled maintenance guidelines surprise me to say the least! Obviously I keep on top of filter cleans and oil changes, fork oil etc. but it states to replace the reed valve after 80 hours then again in 200 hours. It's the same schedule for piston rings...and the piston itself!! The water pump fan (what exactly is this, is it the impeller in the pump?), water pump fan and water pump shaft seal have an even more regular suggested replacement at 80/160/240 hours. What is even more surprising than all that is the suggestion that the con rod and main/crankshaft bearings should be replaced at 120/240/360 hours. Surely not! Does anyone actually do this; remove and split the engine to replace these parts so regularly? These aren't quick jobs. I'd be really interested to read the thoughts of other Evo owners on this.

Cheers, Marcus

Beta evo maintenance schedule.JPG

All manufacturers specify that kind of engine work: piston rings every ~80 hours, piston every 200, or whatever they happen to call out. The reality is that nobody I know of does it. My local dealer suggests a piston and rings every 500 hours, and I've not yet kept a bike long enough to get there (I do ~200 hours a season or so). I have put north of 300 hours on several bikes, and the motor is the last thing any of them needed work done to. Unless you're riding at a very high level I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

That's good to hear! I've had plenty of bikes in the past and it may be wrong but I only really ever did anything like that when I thought something didn't sound or seem quite right. I think I'll keep a record of how many hours I do because I really have no idea at all.

If it's any consolation, when I was karting in about 1980, piston rings lasted 1.5 hours, it needed a rebore and piston at 3 hours and a big-end at 6 hours. There were some alloy-caged big-ends that were only good for 1.5 hours but I didn't know that. You can guess how I found out. :(

18 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

Quote from the Amazon page: "Smallest meter available (19 inches x 1 inches x 59 inches)"

That might prove quite tricky to fit on a bike! :o

The listed dimensions are wrong then. I run one on all my bikes. It's maybe 1x2 inches, it mounts to the side of the radiator easily. 

Maintenance? Meh, change the oil when you're bored. Fix what's broken or sticky. Clean the air filter every couple of rides. I'll do a set of rings if I hold onto a bike for more than three years. Disassemble and clean the carb twice a year. That's about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trapezeartist said:

If it's any consolation, when I was karting in about 1980, piston rings lasted 1.5 hours, it needed a rebore and piston at 3 hours and a big-end at 6 hours. There were some alloy-caged big-ends that were only good for 1.5 hours but I didn't know that. You can guess how I found out. :(

TKM or Parilla? Using 2 or 3 engines for one days practice and racing was not uncommon.

8 hours ago, dadof2 said:

TKM or Parilla? Using 2 or 3 engines for one days practice and racing was not uncommon.

It was an Upton Manx (using Komet internals) that came unstitched due to the big-end failure. I did subsequently use both Parilla and TKM. They were all ridiculously fragile motors. Thankfully the world has moved on.

37 minutes ago, harryharls said:

Trapezeartist...I don't like the sound of that maintenance schedule!! They must have been seriously tuned!

Probably doing about 15,000 rpm, though we didn't have rev counters in those days. I worked out the mean piston speed once and it was crazy high. Added to tiny narrow bridges in the exhaust port which wore quickly, and that was the reason for the frequent rebores.