199B gearbox problems

motoswm

14 hours ago, sherpa325 said:

Thanks bondy, any chance of photos of the 5 speed gear for comparison. I know the sleeve that slides over the shaft behind the sprocket is different on mine compared,to the 5 speed, as I had to make one- couldn't buy one anywhere

Has yours got the 30mm diameter final drive gear? Some 340s had final drive gears fitted that were 30mm diameter instead of the more common 25mm which the 5 speeds also used. Therefore there are two sizes for top hat sleeve, seal and sprocket

I'm only guessing, as I've never had one with a 30mm diameter, but the smaller diameter final drive gear could possibly be used by changing the final drive bearing to suit as well - but it is only an assumption

The gear in my B and the spare gear cluster I have are both 25mm as wood say if the final end shaft is 30mm it would need a bigger sprocket where from I don't know I've had a few Bs never seen 1 I know the spacers can also be different ii guess its because they was running out off parts at the factory and Just Used what they had.

Just pulled the chain and sprocket off my 199B as I couldn't remember what the difference was and also couldn't remember buying a different sprocket. So the difference is in the sleeve/spacer that goes between the sprocket and bearing has a larger Outside diameter 35mm - still has the same ID 25mm. So the shaft is still 25mm and a std sprocket fits obviously. The difference is the sprocket is tightened up against an increased surface area  35/25 as originally 30/25 -maybe increased rigidity. I assume maybe this was an upgrade to fix the problem, who knows?? My cases have been bored out to fit the larger seal OD45 / ID35 original is OD40 / ID30. My engine number is 199 14033 B. Hope this helps

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

On Friday, January 06, 2017 at 5:50 PM, b40rt said:

Am I th only one that's struggling to understand why you have posted this comment ? Are you offering to sell one, or name the source, or ......

Could this possibly be some kind of Chinese water torture !  But is minor compared to Senior Gonzalas, known to his friends as "Gonzo", Spanish ex pat, lives in little village Iron Action, on outskirts Bristol, rumour has it, he has seven 199b's. Spends 14 hrs a day, in his wooden shed, surounded by his bultacos, sitting on a large 3 seater settee, with a cardboard cutout of Vesty on one side and Bernie Schreiber on the other. His only pre occupation in life is to "find the forks"....I once asked him.."what do you mean"..he replied " the forks that even Senior Bulto could not decompress".  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, ask greeves said:

Could this possibly be some kind of Chinese water torture !  But is minor compared to Senior Gonzalas, known to his friends as "Gonzo", Spanish ex pat, lives in little village Iron Action, on outskirts Bristol, rumour has it, he has seven 199b's. Spends 14 hrs a day, in his wooden shed, surounded by his bultacos, sitting on a large 3 seater settee, with a cardboard cutout of Vesty on one side and Bernie Schreiber on the other. His only pre occupation in life is to "find the forks"....I once asked him.."what do you mean"..he replied " the forks that even Senior Bulto could not decompress".  

???????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sherpa325 said:

It may prove difficult to machine the 5 speed gear to suit the 6 speed box as the gear teeth should be case hardened to provide a hard wearing surface. Whether or not the case hardening extends down the face is anybody's guess.

spark erosion?