Top end rattle (yet another)

cornishflyer

1 hour ago, copemech said:

Good lad, you will be better off. Send them off together for proper match. You know where, correct?

Hi Copemech,

There's a couple of places over here that do it from what I can tell, one around $270, the more expensive at $500 but apparently most people use them. Another option would be to send it over to the US but that seems pretty drastic and would take a fair time when I really want to be riding.

That said it's too hot to be riding at the moment anyway, been over 40 degrees in Sydney the last couple of days. :unsure:

I'm late to the party but.... This looks to me like there was a "mild" heat/lube failure at some point. Stuck throttle type of event. I can't be sure from the pics but it looks like the aluminum from the piston isn't scratched so much as smeared. The electrofusion bore is so much harder than the piston that when this happens the aluminum is friction welded onto the cylinder wall. The cylinder itself is usually undamaged under the friction welded aluminum. This is sometimes removed with a chemical etchant that will dissolve the aluminum without affecting the nickel/chromium cylinder wall followed by a light hone. The best stuff for this kind of work is not something you want to play with at home and if you get it on the aluminum part of the cylinder bad things happen.

The placement of the damage at the exhaust port bridge also points to a seizure. This isn't "normal" wear for a piston. I agree with Copemech though, send it to a pro but also make sure your mixture, timing and cooling system are working properly or you run the risk of repeating this.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...