Kickstart return spring

netley

Hi all,

I've got to replace the broken spring on my Sherpa T. I'm told it's possible without splitting the cases, phew !!!

Have any of you done this and may have some pearls of wisdom for any technique ?

Cheers

Hi Netley. I find the easiest way is to cut 5mm of the bit of the new kickstart spring which goes through the kickstart shaft and then use a pair of long nose Vice Grips or Mole Grips to put the long part of the new spring into the hole in the kickstart shaft. It is very awkward as you have to get a half turn of preload or a bit more on the spring. Once you have done it once it is a lot easier after that. I can do it at a trial now in about five minutes. Taking the Countershaft sprocket off does give you a bit more room to move. Be careful if you unscrew the solid nut holding the Kickstart internals off as that can move in a fair bit and if it does then you will have to take it all apart. Just have a go. Graham. 

• Like 2

Thanks Graham, So I cut off 5mm and put the spring on the shaft. Just "pop" the long bit into the hole in the shaft and give it half a turn of preload then Bob should be my uncle?

When you say you can do it in 5 mins, does that mean it is a regular thing to do?

Neil

Neil No not a regular thing to change the spring should likes years. only cut a very small amount off. I. Use I spring puller to wind it round the shaft needs to be in the correct position so you can get enough preload. Happy sore knuckles :D

Edited by bondy
  • Like 1

I have never cut anything of the tang and I have replaced many over the years with no bother.

I use a loop of strong twine as a tool.

I first position the spring roughly in place at this stage neither end is locate. Then with my loop of twine pulling against the end that goes into the kick starter shaft pull it out just enough with one hand pulling the twine loop and guide it into the hole in the shaft using long nose pliers in the other hand. Note most shafts have a chamfer lead in to the hole on one side only. I rotate the kick start shaft so the hole is near vertical or [pointing slightly backwards so I can get good pull access. This is relatively easy as the spring has no wind up at this time and has as much movement as available.  I then re locate my twine loop to the other end of the spring and pull this around winding up the spring and getting the correct pre load. This end is then located behind the nut. You might not think it is possible to do this wind up operation as it appears not enough gap between the kick start shaft and the case forward of the shaft to pull the loop around. I pull it hard around using quite a bit of pull outwards at the same time using my twine loop  quite brutal but it does work and I have never damaged a case doing this.

Stuart

• Like 2

All done. I couldn't have done it without all your help, Thankyou.

I eventually managed it with a pair of needle vice grips levered against the shaft, I had cut a little off the tang, then a cable tie to pull the "hook" end anti clockwise past the case and back to its stop.

Thanks again.

Neil

20170106_153214.jpg

• Like 4