4S/2S

guy53

Again I would like to tap in your experience. I don't want to start yet another pros and cons between 4 stroke and 2 stroke trial bike but I would like to know from experience if a 4 stroke trial have a longer range on a tank.

Guy

Example is the 4RT should get more MPG or hour, but only has a 2 liter tank. The Beta 4T should, but my son`s bike last week had a dripping carb and had to fill up unexpectedly. The Aprilia climber was great on fuel for a 2 stroke, thanks to the Rotax engine and the mechanical valve. 

I own a 2014 300 2T and a 2016 300 4T. I have never noticed a huge difference in gas consumption. I all way's carry an extra liter of fuel.

I do notice that the 4T gearbox oil will get dirtier quicker, and i change it every 3 or 4 rides.  For trail riding the 4T is more fun, for actual trials competition the 2T is my choice.

58 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Depends on the tank size, obviously, but my 4RT uses more petrol than did my 200 Beta in normal trials use.  The SSDT petrol guys confirm that the 4RT is thirstier than the two strokes.

The 4Rt has a smaller fuel tank than most 2 strokes if I'm not mistaken.

The Mont holds 2.1 litres, it's about 28miles to chairlift in the ssdt, which it does on 1 tank full, even on 3psi in the rear and ridden flat out. It could easily do 60+mpg.

Edited by jrsunt

I would guess that the Beta fourstroke has the same tank size as the twostroke version due to the frame construction.

In the case of the 4RT there is not as much space between the frame spars as with the GasGas etc due to the taller motor so a smaller tank is forced on them by styling factors as riders don't  seem to want to see a lot of tank - witness the spate of flat tank fitments in the early days of the Montesa which has now been adopted as standard on the 4RT.  I would rather avoid a push off the hill.

We all have our own experience, and I won't argue with anyone else's,  but mine (on the only occasion that I had a speedo fitted to be able to check) is that my 4RT got about 47 mpg whilst pootling round Moidart peninsula in the snow last year.

In normal trials use I have to fill my 5 litre cans more frequently than with my 200 Beta (and I never had the chance to measure consumption on the road with that).

I do though confess to being disappointed with the 4RT consumption after a lifetime of fourstroke use on the road.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

2006 rode ssdt on 315 mont, brother was on 4rt.

i ran out twice , he smiled while he had 5 mins more at the petrol stop waiting for me to turn up.

Would  also suggest fuel injection is more economical especially compared to a beta which put 40% direct onto the floor through overflow?