etiquette, Selfish people running their engines when queuing at sections.

stpauls

Why do some thoughtless people leave their engines running when queuing for sections?  I can understand it if the trial has just started and they are warming their engines up while queuing at the first couple of sections, or if their bike has suddenly developed a starting issue.  However, some people routinely leave their engines running between sections.

Exhaust fumes are carcinogenic (causes cancers) and so you don't want a dirty two stroke exhaust inches from your face, blowing poisonous fumes into your lungs.

I have asthma and this always brings on an attack later in the day, meaning breathlessness and no sleep for me that night.. 

• Like 5

Yeah I can see you are in a tough spot in your chosen sport. I often wondered on the riders with bikes that blow straight to the face. Otherwise I tend to enjoy some of the exotic smells.  Soldier on, but maybe find a riding buddy to always ride first to give you some breathing room.

What a stupid complaint. If you don't want to be surrounded by 2 stroke fumes then get a different hobby.. It's not hard to move your bike slightly to one side to move away from direct contact with the fumes!

• Like 2

It's a valid point. Petrochemical fumes are lethal and tight groups of bikes revving their engines in proximity to people breathing them in directly is highly carcinogenic.  Instead of taking offence it would be wiser to stop and consider what is actually being said.  These potential problems can all be mitigated with a bit of common sense, the man is right.  It's actually one of the very few things about trials that's genuinely hazardous.

• Like 8

I have often wished they would switch off, especially in confined spaces like in the bush, when the next section or two are fairly physically demanding, (I need all the oxygen I can get to concentrate). bush sections are usually the ones where you are working hard in tight steep places.

Yes I too like the smell, especially some of the classics with the caster oil type smell, only way to take the stuff! The problem is that petrol is kinda not good for you in a major way. We should all change to methanol, yay, a new set of problems, go electric or turn off when not in use.

• Like 1

I've used Aspen Alkylate petrol in my four stroke for a while and the difference is very noticeable, exhaust smelled much better. It's a shame it's so expensive.

Is it so hard to be a bit considerate for other people? I only start my bike when the guy in front of me, is starting to ride the section.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sirdabalot said:

I agree with stpauls. I don't suffer with a chest condition, yet. There's no problem switching the engine off in a big queue then starting it again when 2nd/3rd from the front. 

That's what I do, switch off and just push the bike forward in the queue 

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

I think the problem is that switching off is not seen as good etiquette, it may not be people ignoring etiquette and being selfish, most probably haven't given it a thought.

It might be worth asking organisers if they would mention it when riders are briefed at the start of an event.

• Like 3

It's also a consideration for the Observer. I've been affected by exhaust fumes while checking a section in a deep wooded ravine. Poorly carbureted 2 stroke riders are the worst offenders. They think they can "clean it out" by constant revving. With today's technology in EFI and 100:1 oils there is no need to fill our lungs with blue smoke.

• Like 1