Trials health benefits

jimmyl

Interesting survey highlighted on BBC news web site regarding health benefits of just exercising on weekends

The Survey showed that in comparison to those who didn't exercise at all the,  people that did some kind of physical activity showed a lower risk of dying from cancer and from cardiovascular disease.

"Weekenders", who do all their exercise on one or two days of the week, were found to lower their risk of dying from CVD by 41% and cancer by 18%, compared with the inactive.

Those who exercised regularly on three or more days per week reduced their risks by 41% and 21%.

Even the "insufficiently active" lowered their risk by a significant amount - 37% and 14%, the researchers said, writing in an article published online in JAMA Internal Medicine.

As a guide to How much physical activity should you do - NHS Choices and Public Health England advise

People aged 19-64 should try to do:

• at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, such as cycling or fast walking every week, and
  • strength exercises (such as lifting weights) on two or more days a week that work all the major muscles

Or

• 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity, such as running or a game of singles tennis every week, and
  • strength exercises on two or more days a week that work all the major muscles

Or

• a mix of moderate and vigorous aerobic activity every week, such as two 30-minute runs plus 30 minutes of fast walking, and
  • strength exercises on two or more days a week that work all the major muscle

Trials I'm sure satisfies at least some or all of that criteria

With the onset of "fitbits" etc would be interesting to compare a trial to a Gym work out etc

So if you ride big hill climbs on a pre - 65 and are not very good then by the time you walk the section, walk back up to where you have fallen off and then pick up a big lump of Iron then definitely qualifies you!!!

Trouble is we will all have bad knees, bad backs and arthritis from winter days out on our bikes

• Like 3

Strange thing is ,and others tell me that they get the same , I tend to be more tired on the Tuesday after the trial ! , I rode Sat and sunday this weekend ,was fine yesterday but feeling tired today . Any thoughts ? .

• Like 1

The best benefit I found was that you couldn't worry about the day job and its problems - or even just normal problems - and ride in trials - you had to concentrate on the job in hand or you could fall off and hurt yourself.

That in itself reduced strss in a big way.........

• Like 6

1 hour ago, laird387 said:

The best benefit I found was that you couldn't worry about the day job and its problems - or even just normal problems - and ride in trials - you had to concentrate on the job in hand or you could fall off and hurt yourself.

That in itself reduced strss in a big way.........

ive said that to lots of people as well.

no Microsoft product enters my mind when riding a bike

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 1

Yes turbo, I suffer Tuesdayitis too. Monday's are no problem. Also occasionally after a trial I get a headache, I've tried drinking plenty, bar position, different helmets without success.The Tuesdsyitis and headaches used to happen after enduros 20 years back too. I wonder if the headaches are from exhaust fumes. 

• Like 2

Yes turbo, I suffer Tuesdayitis too. Monday's are no problem. Also occasionally after a trial I get a headache, I've tried drinking plenty, bar position, different helmets without success.The Tuesdsyitis and headaches used to happen after enduros 20 years back too. I wonder if the headaches are from exhaust fumes. 

I definitely get a headache after a while, if the bar is positioned too close.

The week after; Monday tired but ok, Tuesday back hurts, Wednesday shoulders and  arms (back almsot ok), Thursday its the legs, arms and back ok. Friday recovered.

My body hates me.!!

Seriously have you tried hydrating days before the ride. My doctor told me I should be drinking 2 - 3 liters of water per day (talk about peeing every 3 minutes!!). Did help with recovery aches and headaches though. No I didn't keep it up at that level, but 2lt is do-able.

Edited by still trying

6 hours ago, still trying said:

I definitely get a headache after a while, if the bar is positioned too close.

The week after; Monday tired but ok, Tuesday back hurts, Wednesday shoulders and  arms (back almsot ok), Thursday its the legs, arms and back ok. Friday recovered.

My body hates me.!!

Seriously have you tried hydrating days before the ride. My doctor told me I should be drinking 2 - 3 liters of water per day (talk about peeing every 3 minutes!!). Did help with recovery aches and headaches though. No I didn't keep it up at that level, but 2lt is do-able.

If you're adequately hydrated, consider the headaches may be due to tension in the back of the neck (you spend a lot of time with your torso leaning forward and you head up). I used to suffer similar. Solution: take a paracetamol before the headache  starts.

16 hours ago, baldilocks said:

ive said that to lots of people as well.

no Microsoft product enters my mind when riding a bike

No Microsoft problems ever enter my mind - but if you like solving problems, go entirely apple mac like I am (occasional nightmares) but super graphical aids for photography.............

Note of reality for sirdabalot!

When we organised the first British Bike Bonanza, visiting trials riders thought the local 'native' riders were very hospitable, offering them copious swigs on their earthenware jugs of local 'scrumpy' cider.

That first one didn't go out on the road so the fact that the star visiting riders were having difficulty in deciding which of the three or more sections they could see through strangely blurred vision they ought to try to ride.............

So, paracetamol yes, but two litres of water without the apple extract might be preferable.........

Edited by laird387
adding detail
  • Like 2