Two competition bikes?

heffergm

Curious if anyone who competes seriously (in any class) runs more than one bike, as in two of the same or nearly same machine, one for practice, one for race. I guess a lot of the vintage guys might by default :) But I was more curious about modern machinery.

That`s basically why you see the minders riding the same bike as the competitors, Instant spare parts. It makes sense if you are chasing the Nationals, but not so much the local events. My employer always brings two spare bikes and he rides 4RT`s.

On 1/16/2017 at 4:38 PM, rosey said:

I've seen them use both bikes in the same British Champ trial, so clearly it makes sense to have 2 or more bikes!!!!

TSR7 : ... "the same machine must be used though out the event" ....

obviously you'ld have to prove it ...

Yeah, that rule exists most places. I'm not talking about keeping a 'spare' around for during an event, I'm talking about putting a ton of time on a practice bike and keeping the competition bike relatively fresh.

Then come next season, the previous season's race bike becomes the practice bike and you replace the previous year's practice bike, which becomes the new race bike... if you follow ;) 

Anyway, not something most folks will bother with, I'm just curious since I've already put a whole season's worth of hours on my new GG over the winter.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

I cant remember who said it or what book it was in but afaik no one does, especially factory top riders.

They may have two bikes available but they always have a no 1 machine which is the one they ride the most. More common is changing this no 1 bike more frequently, maybe 3 months or so i wouldnt know.

When marginal gains (sky) help familiarity far outweighs any negatives.

Raga always had a new chain at each event etc. so they just change stuff that wears more often

also i imagine bous bike is a one off anyway.

I know for sure when on the 4t in sweeden cabestany changed to a 2t when it blew its self up in the warm up, so he had no spare at all, or certainly one he would ride.

• Like 2

Travis Pastrana once said (paraphrase) "Compete the same way you practice"

so if your bike for competition is all pristine and set up perfect, your practice bike should be as well.

Or if your practice bike is clapped out, sand under the throttle, weak brakes etc.. your competition bike should be the same.  (It would just be too hard to keep two bikes in exactly the same state of disrepair.  So only own one)

If you normally practice hung over and tired you should compete hung over and tired.  (When people say you drink too much, just remind them that you are training for race day):guinness::beer:

• Like 2